New aquarium cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfmarini

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am a new member and I have a problem with my new 13g aquarium. It has just completed the cycle but now I have noticed a lot of white stuff on the gravel. Does anybody know what this white stuff is? Thank you.

What kind of white stuff? Fluffy? Slimy? Can you post a pic? What fish do you have? Lights and how long do you keep them on? Did you cycle with fish or fishless? What are your water readings (ammonia,nitrite, nitrate). What is your water change schedule? Do you vacuum the gravel? Any real driftwood in the tank? More info would help; my first guess would be too much food that's broken down and turned to fungus but it's hard to say for sure without more info.

Hi there, I cycled with fishes. At moment I have got 5 neons and 2 guppies. I am feeding them every other day (just a little pinch). I don't have any real plant. The last reading says neither nitrites nor nitrates, pH 7.4. I am keeping the tank far from sunlight and I switch the light on just for 1 hr when gets dark. The water temperature is 75 F. I change 25% of water every 3 days. I vacuumed the gravel 5 days ago. While i was vacuuming and after the water become very cloudy. The white stuff lays just on the gravel, some is fluffy some seem quite hard stuff. See pics. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• image-2154222731.jpg
    image-2154222731.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 50
  • image-488234658.jpg
    image-488234658.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 53
What is your ammonia? Also do you have an API master liquid freshwater test kit? Strips are notoriously inaccurate

Hi! I really cant tell much from the pics but if what your describing is white & fluffy, its likely fungus. I am suspect though of your tank being cycled. A cycled tank will will have some nitrates because this is the end product of the nitrogen cycle. A heavily planted tank will have zero nitrates but this is not your case. What are your levels for ammonia & nitrite? To deal with the fluffy stuff, just increase your water changes & do some gravel vacs to suck it up. Make sure you remove any uneaten food promptly. Let us know if we can be of anymore help!

I don't have an ammonia test. The strip test I have got shows only nitrates and nitrites and the level was undetectable hence no ammonia is present. Bear also in mind that i am not feeding the fishes for 3 days. This may explain the drop of ammonia. How will I know when the cycle is completed anyway? I'll change the water again tonight and I'll vacuum the gravel too. Thank you.

You likely have ammonia present. You really should invest in a good test kit such as the API freshwater master test kit and a good water conditioner such as Prime as soon as possible. Amazon has some great deals on these products. You will need to be viligent on testing your water daily for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate and doing water changes as needed to keep toxin levels under control until your tank is properly cycled. Please read the link below & ask any questions you may have!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Yeah get a good liquid test kit (API Master is best, it contains the tests for everything you'll need). Until then, I would do daily water changes and gravel vac. Stick the siphon into the gravel and let the gravel come up into the tube and then lift the tube so the gravel comes back down. The white stuff is likely fungus or mold, maybe from decaying waste and/or food or/and ammonia levels.

How to clean your aquarium with a vacuum gravel cleaner. - YouTube

Un update... I have changed about 30% of water, while I was vacuuming a lot of fluffy white stuff come out from the gravel. After that the water become very cloudy with a lot of fluffy matter floating. I think I will never get rid of that thing, the quantity is impressive and is everywhere, filter, thermostat, decorations, etc. At least the fishes look ok. Any idea?

Back
Top Bottom