New aquarium, dead glofish, could use some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sguven

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dear Aquarium Advice Community,

First of all, apologies if my questions have been covered elsewhere, due to the corona virus issues and school closures, I am trying to set up a new tank with limited time and I am unable to go through all the other threads.

I ordered 6 glofish tetras and 1 Albino Bushy Nose Pleco from the glofish website. They were shipped overnight and we received them at 5pm next day.

I set up the tank according to the instructions that came with it in the specific order. I filled it with tap water which I passed through a Pur filter water pitcher, I added the aqueon water conditioner in the recommended amount. It is a 10 gallon tank with the QuietFlow 10 LED PRO and a preset 78degrees heater.

When the fish arrived, I followed the instructions (put bag of water in for 15 mins, add 1 cup of water in tank into fish bag, wait 5 mins ,add 1 more cup of water into fish bag, wait 5 mins, then put fish into aquarium with the water. Meanwhile, I added the tetra aqua safe in the recommended amount.

All fish looked healthy and happy (no super slow or super fast movement.)

Screenshot-20200314-121410-Gallery.jpg

I added some tropical fish flakes and two tetra pro plecowafers (I am now told thats too many, maybe half a wafer is enough for the pleco.

I turned off the light at night and went to bed and in the morning unfortunately all the tetras died. The pleco looks healthy so far.

I immediately purchased the test strips for the water. Here are the results:

20200314-120646.jpg

I am a complete newbie with aquariums and I am willing to learn. I would be grateful for any help, about what to do with these results and what type of fish to start with and what is a best way to establish a healthy long term environment for fish.

Your tank wasn't properly cycled, adding that many fish to an uncycled tank shocked the fish causing them to die. This website has articles you can read on fish in or fishless cycles.
I'm going to warn you now to rehome the pleco. Bristlenose plecos need the space of about 30 gallons minimum because of the waste they create.

Hi Sguven,
All aquariums have a couple of colonies of bacteria living on all hard surfaces. This bacteria consumes waste. The waste consumption is called a nitrogen cycle. In short a cycle.
You will need to multiply this bacteria that is free and in the tank already. You will however need millions of bacteria not just the few that are on the dust floating in the air.
It takes a month or more to multiply the bacteria numbers.

Back
Top Bottom