New Aquarium / Fluval 306 Canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dasaint

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new aquarium (56gal column) that is just about 1 month. It is equipped with 3 swordtails, 4 fancy guppies, 2 black mollies, 5 neon tetras, 7 red eyed tetras, betta, 6 xray tetras, 5 parva rainbows, snails, cherry shrimp and some live plants. My lighting setup is having quad T5 to get some light to penetrate the 24" tall tank. I've been doing PWC weekly about 10%-15%.

Water testing shows ammonia high but I am confused since fish appear to be happy and active. I've been reading that API test are not completly accurate and water conditioners throw off readings. I've cut down on feedings for the past week with 1x day (minimal feedings 2-3 min). Also, on day 1.5 without feeding to see if ammonia level goes down.

Anyhow, I am wondering if I should clean canister filter (with existing tank water) and replace carbon with the zeo-carb. Or should I get rid of carbon and put more biomedia? Or just leave alone. ???

Thoughts?

You are still cycling. I wouldn't touch the filter at all yet until it is well and truly completed. If you have ammonia you need to be doing water changes daily to keep it down a low as possible. 10-15% a week isn't cutting it. After your tank is cycled you will need to do 30-50% Water changes weekly.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Here is the beginners link it has important information on cycling. I suggest you give it a read. any questions don't be afraid to ask!

I did a 50% PWC last night and my ammonia reading is high -- approx. between 2-4ppm. I've reduced the feeding by 1x day with 2-3 min feedings.

Should I get some chemicals (Stress Zyme?) to reduce the ammonia? Should I add ammonia chips (zeo-carb to my Fluval 306)?
Any other suggestions?

I did a 50% PWC last night and my ammonia reading is high -- approx. between 2-4ppm. I've reduced the feeding by 1x day with 2-3 min feedings.

Should I get some chemicals (Stress Zyme?) to reduce the ammonia? Should I add ammonia chips (zeo-carb to my Fluval 306)?
Any other suggestions?

I'd say NO to chemicals ... continue with PWC's and use a good dechlorinator like Seachem Prime. Those ammo lock / chips ... from what I understand ... literally lock away the ammonia which sounds good, however, you end up starving the bacteria. Seachem Prime (as well as other conditioners)temporarily converts ammonia into a less toxic form for 24-48 hours, but it is still available for the bacteria to consume.

Reduce the feedings, use a good de-chlorinator and PWC's.

I've been using API Water Conditioner. Changing to Seachem Prime will make a difference?? Also, I checked my tap water for ammonia and it came out to 0.

Should I do another 50% PWC today since I did one last night? Will this impact the growing bacteria?

Any other thoughts about adding chemicals to help with ammonia and cycling process?

Just came back from Petsmart and bought a bottle of Prime.

Now, should I do add a cap of it in my 56gal tank? I already did a 50% PWC using API Water Conditioner.

Thoughts?

If you are going to have plants in the tank I would take out the chemical carbon cartridge. Then you could add additional bio media. If you are not keeping plants just load one of the baskets with bio media and one chemical media (i.e carbon ) if you like.

I do not run carbon in my setup and I have no problems.

PWC will not effect the bacteria or cycling in any way. Don't be afraid of doing as many PWC as you can to get the ammonia and nitrite down as low as you can (.25ppm). Use the prime next PWC and use enough for the whole tank. It just the replaced water. Your in for a lot of work but it will be worth it in the end. :)

I have some live plants and just been using the supplied media that came with the Fluval 306. The carbon is on the very top tray --- I plan on removing the carbon after tank cycles with more biomedia.

In the meantime, trying to get a handle on the ammonia levels. Still confused because my fish stock all look healthy and active. Yet, aquarium is @ 2-4ppm ammonia level with aggressive PWC. I am hoping Prime will help address this.

Prime will bind the more toxic ammonia to a less toxic for but leave it still being able to be consumed by the bacteria. It will still show up on your test kit (it tests both kinds of ammonia together). The prime only works for 24-48 hours so PWC are still needed to bring the ammonia down.

Last night, did a 30% PWC with adding PRIME. Now, what should I do next? When should I re-test my water?

You should probably do a 50% water change daily or even twice daily until you get those levels down. No higher than .25.

Doesn't Prime skew the ammonia / nitrate readings? If so, wouldn't it make sense to weekly PWC?

Many people say that Prime will give false readings if you test less than 24 hours after using it.

I agree that more water changes are necessary. Any time you're cycling with fish, the only way to keep those fish healthy is multiple 50% water changes per week.

Cycling generally takes between 4-6 weeks, so you're probably almost there.

3 swordtails, 4 fancy guppies, 2 black mollies, 5 neon tetras, 7 red eyed tetras, betta, 6 xray tetras, 5 parva rainbows, snails, cherry shrimp

Please watch your betta with these other schools. Many bettas don't do well in community settings. Be sure to have a Plan B in case it doesn't work out.

Thanks for the input! I'll continue with the PWC and retest my water for appropriate levels.

The male betta was removed 2 days ago since he was beating up the male swordtail. In addition, was nipping at every fish that were in schools, even my prized parva rainbows who are a tad bigger than he was. The betta now is back in solitude until I get a small tank for him. Strange, when I first got him, he was hiding and very laid back. I guess it took him about a week or so to start feeling comfortable and begin to show is Alpha side.

The swordtail was in bad shape and died a day later after betta was removed. I plan on getting another male swordtail to mate with the female but will hold off until I get the tank completely cycled.

I have my female black molly in a breeder tank since she is pregnant -- -she should be delivering any day, now (hoping by this weekend).

Did another 50% pwc last nite with Prime. This morning, checked water level and ammonia is 0 but nitrite is a bit high along with nitrate.

Should i use salt and/or salt to control these?

Finished 40% PWC with Prime and API Salt. Tested water after 2 hours --- nitrites are showing 5ppm.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom