Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New aquarium, new crayfish

Hi! I'm brand new to this site and to having any kind of aquarium. We've never had any kind of fish before and recently my 3rd grade daughter brought home one of the crayfish they had to study in their classroom. After a few months in the class, they sent them home with the students. Turned out we got a female. We've had it for about a month and all of a sudden 2 days ago we had like 200 of these little translucent little things dangling from the water surface. I'm assuming she had babies because there is nothing else in the tank except a fake plant and 2 fake rocks she climbs around on. We didn't think it would last too long and didn't want to spend a lot originally. Now we don't know what to do. The fish store gave us some pellet food that sinks to the bottom but now the water really should be changed. But how, the water surface is covered with them? Also it seems like there are 1/2 as many of these little things then yesterday. Is mama eating them? Everything I'm reading says they look like little crayfish, but these don't look like mini crayfish walking around. They look more like tiny tadpole shaped things hanging from the water surface. And today, they are now rolled up in to little balls floating just under the surface. If I wrinkle the water a shmidge they dart to the bottom and then dart up a few minutes later. What is this process and what should my next steps be? Please....any advice would be helpful at this point.
Cindy

Tags
crayfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com