New aquarium questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chompsticks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, So I am aquarium shopping for a larger tank that most likely will not be purchased until at least 8 months from now. I do have a few questions

What you guys may recommend for filtration of a 120 gallon tank that is 48 x 24 x 25, hang on the back filtration or a sump tank?

Would one or the other be cheaper to maintain?

Also would this size tank be large enough for a school of 5-6 Bala Sharks?

Does cycling take longer for a larger sized tank?

Let me know what you guys think.

You could actually go with a combination of a canister filter and HOB filter with one on each end. That way if one fails the other would still be doing the job. I'm not sure about how many bala sharks would be the right amount for a tank that size but the length of cycling depends on if you use fish or not, if the tank has plants or not, etc. I recommend doing a fishless cycle to save stress on your fish.

I use 2 cannisters on my 125g, one on each end. As the previous poster said, if one fails you have the back up. I personally don't care for an HOB on a tank so large.

As far as cycling. With appropriate filtration, the cycle won't take any longer on this tank than usual. Of course, this all is depending on how you do it, there are a lot of variables when it comes to how long it takes a tank to cycle. It did not take more than 6-8 weeeks for any of my tanks to cycle, way back when I was cycling from scratch. The good thing about having such a large amount of water is it dilutes the fish wastes, and the water parameters are much easier to maintain.

A sump offers a lot more options than a self-contained filter, but it's more work to set up since, more than likely, you're building the sump yourself. I'd probably build a sump, just because it's a DIY project and I like those kind of things.

If you go the HOB route, get two big filters. I'd go with two AquaClear 110s or at least two AC 70s.

I don't have a lot of experience with cannister filters, but I'd use these over the HOBs on a tank this large.

I would use two canisters... or a wet/dry setup... i have 2 canisters and an hob on my 150g and may be getting another canister. btw, have you seen how ugly those bala sharks get?

I suppose I have not seen balas full grown... What are the cost of HOB vs cannister vs sump?

120 is too small for bala sharks they get to be 12 inch.

hobs generally are cheaper. sumps tend to be more work can be cheaper or more expensive depending on how much work you do your self vs buying pre done sumps. canisters are nice but wont be too cheap for a 120. one good thing about them is the sound. since you dont have the over flowing water there isnt much sound coming from it. another great reason why sumps/canisters are better then hobs is they add a lot more water volume then hobs. personally i would run canisters. if you want to put the work in get a sump.

you can make your own wet/dry setup probably cheaper than buying a canister if you're a decent diy'er... a simple 30-40g tank, even a 55g from craigslist, some acrylic, a pump, a piece of eggcrate, silicone, pot scrubbers, and some pvc and you have a nice setup... or you can check craigslist/ebay for canisters, theyre on there all the time ( i got my fluval 405 for $20 off craigslist)

Hey, So I have found my tank and stand for $250. It is a 120 gallon that is 60x18x26H not quite what I was looking for but its close enough for a good deal. Now my question is, would I be able to create a wet/dry sump tank with an old 20 gallon tank or would that be too small. And When I read about egg crate, is that the bedding material??

A 20g would be ok if used efficiently and you're not looking for a refugium. A 20L would be better, just because it would be easier to use. Egg crate is the plastic grid used as diffusers for fluorescent lights. It's available at your local home improvement store.

a 20l would be best, even bigger like 30-40g would be much better. here is the design im going off of for the 55g im using as a sump

Last edited:
Hey guys, So I am trying to get all the items I need for my new aquarium and just have a few questions. I am trying to stay as low budget as possible for a 120 gallon tank.

I have two aquaclear HOB 50-70 filters already. Would I need one more or would that be plenty?

What would you guys suggest for lighting a planted tank? Would have to do at least two 36" strips with dual bulbs or single? And what type of bulbs? Any recommendations on a certain type of lighting fixture? I am not at all an expert and keeping and caring for plants, but slowly learning.

I have a heater for a 60 gallon tank, would I need to get another heater?

Suggestion on new fish?
I have 5 bala sharks that I will be returning to the LFS because the new tank is not going to be big enough. Suggestions on new fish? At the moment I have 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Rubbernose Pleco, 6 Tiger Barbs, 5 Green Tiger Barbs, 2 Red Finned Rainbows, 2 Turquoise Rainbows, 3 Madagascar Rainbows and 3 Cory Cats. The Rainbows all school together and the tigers school togerther separately. Don't think i'll get any more Tigers, maybe one more green one to even it out. I was thinking about a few more rainbows or a bolivian ram or two or some bottom dwellers? I have no idea. I am open to suggestions and possible ideas.

I think I had another questions but I forgot now thinking about all the fish. LOL

Two AC70s would be the bare minimum I'd go with and it would limit your stocking levels. It'd get you started, but I'd strongly recommend saving for a sump or larger filter.

What type of plants are you looking to grow? Plant selection will determine how much light you'll need. 2 watts per gallon of fluorescent light is a good number to aim for to grow a variety of plants.

The heater for a 60g tank won't be able to keep up. Get a second heater that's a little bigger. Two heaters will heat more evenly and provide some insurance if one fails.

Don't add any more fish just yet. Wait for the tank to get established. When it is established, get more corys first. They like to be in groups of 6+ and they are much more fun to watch in groups. After that, get rainbows. A school of rainbows is just cool to watch.

I agree, your 120 is way too small. I would not put one in their, let alone 5. If you go to freshwater, a nice fluval 405 would work. If you go saltwater, a sump is best (refugium).:angel:

Back
Top Bottom