Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New Aquarium Setup and Help with Old Filter!

Hello everyone! I am brand new to this thread and not exactly sure how it works, so if I mess something up or post in the wrong thread, please let me know!

So here's my first issue:

California has had some major power outages lately, and I noticed my freshwater filter had stopped funcioning after I got back from vacation. Was probably off for two weeks or more. Cleaned it all out today but the filter media has mold and like looking pretty yucky. I'm sure my tanks balance is already ruined, but I'm wondering if I should throw all the media out and start fresh, or if there's a way to clean it? It was brand new before I left, and not all that cheap, but don't want to put my Goldie at risk be using it again if it's toxic. What do you think??

Also, setting up a new fluval flex for her but want it to cycle properly before I transfer her (Nema &#128514 and not sure if I should start the new filter (different from the one I'm previously asking about) right away or let the water settle? I've purchased distilled water but also a conditioner and mineral replenisher to go along with it, as well as the live bacteria starter. I just want to do this right!!! My fish is very hardy but she deserves a comfortable home!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you to all!!

~Bella

Old 03-31-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If the media is absolutely disgusting than sure, get rid of it. But it will have benefits if the filter media was cycled and had good bacteria on it, which would help to cycle the new water along. Through it all just trust your gut and youíll make the right decisions. Hope I was on some help! Good luck!

Old 03-31-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you so much!

Tags
aquarium, filter, new aquarium, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com