New at this, need help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJM1123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just got a 10 gal. tank for my dorm room. I used to have freshwater frogs years ago, but got rid of them due to lack of time. I just set up the new tank, put the gravel in ect. and im getting a ridiculous amount of micro-bubbles everywhere. I have the filter in and did everything that i was told to do.
Any help would be great.

Chris

I am moving this to the Freshwater Getting Started forum.

The bubbles should go away. It's common in a new setup. When I perform a large water change and airate the water with the gravel vac, I tend to get quite a few bubbles until the next day.

Tell us a little it about your tank or what you plan to do with it.

Welcome to AA Chris!

My apologies, i noticed the getting started forum after posting.
I want to get as many fish as possible in it, most of them being around 2-3 inches. maybe a few bigger.
As i have never owned fish before, im really not sure how many or even what kind. I want active fish, that are not very expensive, and make the colorful.

i was hoping you all could get me started with a few fish, then as i learn more and more, i can get another aquarium started at home by myself.

Not a problem, with just a click of a button we move threads. :)

I would stick to smaller fish. Neon tetras look very nice when schooling together in larger groupings. Have you thought about maybe some snails or ghost shrimp? Or possibly a dwarf gourami. Check out some fish profiles online and see what interests you.

Welcome to AA. FF is quite right the micro bubbles are normal with a new tank. Whenever I set up a tank they bug me too so I run an algae pad over the glass to minimize the noticeablity of them.

For a 10 gal tank you would have to consider smaller fish for schooling. If you go with fish that are 2-3" you will only be able to have 2-5 fish depending on the species.

To start out, i decided to go with 3 glofish. Pink, yellow, and orange. They are a cross breed between a jellyfish and tetra i believe. Correct me if im wrong. But thats what the guy told me at the store.

As far as the micro-bubbles, they have been almost cut in half since yesterday.

For cleaning supplies, i was going to go with the python
no spill, but thats the only thing i have really looked into. Any other ideas as far as keeping a clean healthy tank would be great.

Good call with the python. IMO its the best aquarium tool on the market.

The glofish is actually a zebra danio injected with jellyfish protein.

;) Just to clarify:
Glofish are transgenic animals - meaning that they produce a protein encoded in the DNA of another species. Jellyfish DNA was injected into a fertilized zebrafish egg and became incorporated into the zebrafish embryo's own DNA. It's then passed on from generation to generation just like the zebrafish' own genes.

Some people may think that glowfish are dyed or tattooed, but this is not the case.

QT is correct. I didn't mean to imply that the fish was injected, the embryo is injected. But it does originally start as a Zebra Danio, not a Tetra.

i was considering getting two of the colored skirt tetras next. i like how the color shimmers off their scales.

Also, the flame dwarf gourami caught my eye. What do you guys think about them?

Back
Top Bottom