Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

new brackish 10 gallon

ok, so, I have like 5 empty tanks sitting around, but not alot of room, so I set my 10 gallon back up.

I moved over some dead live rock (it was live rock once upon a time) put in an inch of sand, bumped the salinity up to about 1.010, (I need a better hydrometer, will pick one up tomorrow, one that reads from 1.000-1.030, my current only goes from 1.015-1.030). I have a small powerhead and a small 75gph filter I think on the tank, and two screw in compact fluorescants, maybe a combined 26 watts of 10k lighting, no actinics atm.

I am wanting to go with a small GSP for now (1-1.5 inch purchase size at the most, smaller the better)

I am moving in 2.5 months, and I have a 29 and 55 gallon laying around to be set up once I move, hence getting a fish that will be too big for the tank in a few months, he will have a larger home.

My main concern right now is the starting salinity, is 1.010 alright, or is it too high? I can always bump it one way or the other by either adding salt, or by replacing some of the water with pure fresh.

At these salinities, should I go with a fresh water or salt water food shrimps? What aobut snails, would just dropping in pond snails and ramshorns be fine even though the water has some salt, or should I go with some form of salt water snail?

are there any potential tank mates for him, either now, or in a larger tank?

thanks

Old 06-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

not that i'm an expert or anything, but wouldn't it make more sense to wait until you move to set up any tank at all? i realize you want to do a 10 gallon so it's not as much to move, and you will want to move your fish to a bigger tank anyway, but if you think about it, you will spend at least a month cycling, if not more, and the fish will hardly be settled in when you up and move him again. seems like a lot of stress on the fish, where you could just wait a couple months, then set up your bigger tanks like you want, and start from there. just seems easier and less stressful for you and the fish, IMO.

Tags
10 gallon, brackish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com