New build - straight to nitrate reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ezbandrea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have a 57g freshwater new build which i have been running for 12 days now. i seeded it with filter pads from my smaller 10g tank.
I left it running for a couple of days with a few pinched of fish food, then added 7 Ember tetras after 3 days.
Initially Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nirate 0.
I then added another 10 Embers and 2 Pygmy Corys.
I now have had reading for the last 3 days as Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5/10ppm.
Today i tested again and Nitrate has definately climbed to 10ppm.
I am new to all this ..... would i be alright adding my fish that are left in my smaller tank - 7 Cardinals, 3 Pencilfish and L134 Leopard Frog Pleco, and at the same time putting the remaining filter media in the new larger tank?

Since your ammonia and nitrite is 0 I'd say it's OK to add the rest of the fish and the filter media. Just keep an eye on levels and make sure there aren't any spikes. Does your tap water have nitrate?

I too have done a new build and straight to nitrate reading in only 3 days. new 38 gallon with 4 small tetras. some added water from cycled tank and some tropical science nitromax and according to my tests i have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20-30 nitrate. 3 days and i dont get it.

Back
Top Bottom