New canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bwanny

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everybody! I have a quick question regarding the installation of a new canister filter. I currently have a 75 gallon tank with a heavy bioload of a large oscar and a flowerhorn cichlid. I currently have two filters running on the tank, a 306 fluval canister filter as well as a dual biowheel setup by marineland (i dont recall the exact model). Im getting ANOTHER fluval 306 canister filter to get rid of the loud pesky marineland filter. Im Also getting rid of the marineland filter because the one biowheel isnt spinning which is just an annoyance even though i do the maintenance needed on it. So now that that is out of the way, my question is: How long should i keep the marineland filter on the tank after the new fluval 306 is all set up and running. Im assuming i need to wait about a month or 30 days to allow the new fluval canister filter to germinate with healthy beneficial bacteria before i can get rid of the marineland? Also will this be too much filtration for the tank when i have all 3 setup for the month while im waiting to take the marineland off?
One more additional question: when is the right time to replace the carbon bags inside of the fluval 306's. Ive had the one fluval 306 setup for almost a year now and was wondering if i should change the carbon mesh bags in there.
Thank you all so much for your time! Please help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Personally I'd get a pair of scissors, chop up as much of the filter media in the Marineland as possible and stick it into one of the baskets available in your canister filter. That way you're basically transferring the nitrifying bacteria as opposed to trying to colonize new.

I'd still keep a close eye on water parameters though since you're likely to still throw if off balance to some degree.

As for carbon, I don't run it unless you're trying to remove something from the water like meds, really serves no purpose (other than the companies getting you to buy more), but keep in mind that if it's been in your filter for a long time it has also become part of your bio-media and likely holds a lot of beneficial bacteria.

This was so helpful. Thank you so much. I will absolutely do what you said about the biowheels being cut up. Hopefully theyll cling right to the new ceramic tubes in the new filter. Thank you again @eco23

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom