New cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently set up a 5 gallon tank and used all of the same decor that I used to have in my fully cycled 20 gallon. My question is how long will this one take to cycle? Will using any of the old stuff have an impact on the process for better or worse? Thanks!

Filter media from an establish tank always helps in the cycle. The time, from what I have heard, just depends on a bunch of different factors. Can be anywhere from 5 days (not sure if these people are actually cycled or are just optimistic) to several months.

Logically with used media from a healthy tank you should be on the lower side of things. I think I remember reading somewhere that the average cycle takes 4-6 weeks. Did you transfer everything immediatly from the 20 gallon and put it in your 5 gallon or did you let it dry out first? If the latter it won't do you much good since most of the good bacteria will have died, if the first I do believe it is possible to instantly cycle your tank. However, if the previous then it won't do much, if anything, for you.

I am currently keeping notes on my cycle just so I can get an idea of how long it will take in the future in this area but so far with the fishless cyle I am only on day 3 and just saw the ammonia go down to 1ppm today (dosed it back up to 4ppm since there were no nitrites present yet) so not much help as yet to say how long it will take.

Good luck with your cycle!

Back
Top Bottom