New filter for 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi! I am thinking I want a new filter for my 20 gallon tank. Right now I have a penguin bio wheel 150. I want to replace it with an aquaclear I think. Should I get the 30 or 50? I want good filtration but not so much water movement that my little guys can't swim around comfortably. Thanks for any help you guys can give me

OMG, I will be interested in that too. I need something quiet because its in my bedroom next to me head. Mine is a 20 high, going to be getting some barbs maybe.

Oceangirl said:
OMG, I will be interested in that too. I need something quiet because its in my bedroom next to me head. Mine is a 20 high, going to be getting some barbs maybe.

If you are looking for a good quality quiet filter for a 20g, I would recommend the Eheim Aquaball 130.

I have this filter and it does a great job on my 20g, it is also very very quiet, almost silent in fact. Plus it comes with a 3 year warranty!

Are you keeping the bio wheel in the tank? If so, get the aquaclear 30. Aquaclears are great filters.

I bought an Aquaclear 20 when i got my 20g aquarium. Research told me that it wasn't enough, so I bought another Aquaclear 20. Now I've got the capacity for heavier filtering, but can keep them set low so there's not a lot of water pressure for the little guys. Keeping the pressure set low also keeps them pretty quiet.

Not the cheapest option, but there's also flexibility for if/when i get a quarantine tank - i can just temporarily move one filter to the Q-tank and it's already cycled.

eduguy said:
Are you keeping the bio wheel in the tank? If so, get the aquaclear 30. Aquaclears are great filters.

No, I was going to replace the bio wheel. I have decided it is not a very good filter- the wheel does not turn consistently so I'm not getting the full benefit from the filter. So I'm thinking the 30 should still be fine right?

I have an Emperor 280 on a 20L and the wheel keeps spinning because of a dedicated spray. Noisy...yes. So I picked up an Aquaclear 50 with the intent to slowly transition from the Emperor. Ran them both to seed the new filter and the AC50 is much, much more quieter and I like the media flexibility. Tank is in a home office...if this was bedroom would go with the AC50.
BTW am still running both because I like the water flow (very active danios and tetras).

Oh I would go with the AC50 over the AC30 for the water flow. AC splashing is dependent on the water level...I fashioned a "lip extension" from the plastic strip that comes with hinged glass tops to cut down on the noise. Quiet and good surface movement.

The wheel stops turning when you need to rinse out the pad , I got a 350 with two wheels and have no problem keeping them spinning

I have a a 20H and purchased the AC30 and it is super quiet, adjustable flow, and filters tank wonderfully...I say go with AC 30 or the AC 50

Back
Top Bottom