New filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Should you really ever buy new filter media, like the filter cartridges? When I did my PWC for today I was looking at my filter cartridge and the floss and it was looking pretty gunky. I took them out and swished them around in the bucket I had the old tank water draining into and put it back in the filter. Is there anything else I should be doing?

If you are running activated carbon, it doesn't last forever... Which is why you would change it every few weeks or so.

I've been using whatever cartridge came with the filter that I got from Walmart, an aqua-tech for 5-15g, my tank is a 10g. When I was given the tank a filter was given along with it but it didn't work and I had to buy a new filter, but I used the filter cartridge that I was given. I still have the new cartridge that came with my new filter. Should I put it in with the one I'm running now so the BB doesnt die off?

Yea would be a good idea... Can run em both for a little while, then take the old one out.

I haven't changed media in ages and I don't run carbon unless I've been dosing medication. The only media I have in my filters is fluval bio-max (or the equivalent) and some floss.

Would I be better of just taking out the cartridges and using both things of floss?

Mrs.h2012 said:
Would I be better of just taking out the cartridges and using both things of floss?

That's up to you. Carbon is for removing colors odors and medications. It doesn't hurt to leave it in there, its just not necessary unless under those circumstances. I do have one filter that still has its carbon cartridge, I just won't replace it regularly.

I would buy some Seachem Matrix, or Eheim Substart Pro and put as much in a small media bag as you can fit or if possible without the bag, leaving space for some floss on top. This way you can keep a good amount of BB in your filter permently and just change the floss regularly to polish the water. Im not sure what type of filter you have, but even if you can squeeze a small amount of what I recommended in there you will have a definite upgrade to your filter. The two products I recommended can hold a lot of BB in there special surfaces and will not need changed for ages. I upgraded my niece's little tank this way, managed to get about 15-20 Substrat pro balls in her tiny filter and a little bit of floss on top, works a treat. Also you can buy packets of rolled filter floss for next to nothing, just tear off what you need and your ready to go.

Or if you can afford one, an Eheim Pick Up 2006, is a small little filter which is fantastic, gives you more options to what media you can use. Comes with a sponge that lasts for months, even a over a year if your not to stocked - but I know people take half the sponge out and put some Substrat Pro in it within a media bag.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom