New Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jellybean82881

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm almost ready to put some fish in my tank. I'm interested in fish that are somewhat colorful. Any suggestions? It's a 20 gal.

Ok, then, a cycled 20 long. Do you have any preferences for colors, schooling or not, size, or anything like that? Would you want them to be very hardy, or look really good? Do you want easy-to-take-care-of fish, or good looking, but needy fish. Please answer all of these, we can't appropriately help without all of the specifics. And that includes filter, and heater (need to know the gph [gallons per hour] of the filter and watts of the heater).

:welcome: to aquarium advice!

Ok, then, a cycled 20 long. Do you have any preferences for colors, schooling or not, size, or anything like that? Would you want them to be very hardy, or look really good? Do you want easy-to-take-care-of fish, or good looking, but needy fish. Please answer all of these, we can't appropriately help without all of the specifics. And that includes filter, and heater (need to know the gph [gallons per hour] of the filter and watts of the heater).

:welcome: to aquarium advice!

My filter is a Fluval C4 and my heater is 100W (came with my Marineland). I would like them not to be ridiculously needy. I kinda want to have a main fish (or two) then maybe a few schooling. I have an oto in my 5 gal I think I'm gonna transfer and add a couple more.

Could do some neons or cardinal tetras which in my opinion is a good flash of color. Some corys, and 1-2 dwarf gouramis.
So it would be like
8 neon/cardinal tetras
3 Cory cats (I prefer panda or skunk corys but I suppose the choice is yours)
3 Otto's including the one u got
1-2 dwarf gouramis

I was interested in the dwarf gouramis. Do you think i would be safe to put the otos in when there's not much algae? I have the wafers but it didn't look like my oto was eating it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't know much about otos. Instead of the Dwarf Gourami, you could go with a ram, although they are kind of agressive, and a bit sensetive to water parameters, but they look AWESOME!! :fish2::cool::popcorn:
How do you feel about cories? They need special food and substrate, but they look nice and have a low bioload.
Option 1:
5 cories
10 rummynose tetras (they look amazing when they school!)
1 german blue ram or dwarf gourami
3 otos
Option 2:
6 orange von rio flame tetras
7 lemon tetras
1 german blue ram or dwarf gourami
3 otos

No otos. Most won't eat prepared foods, so you need lots of algae.

Blue Rams are not begginer fish, either. Try a bolivian. They are much more forgiving.
Also, rams are pretty peaceful.

I personally wouldn't go with a Dwarf Gourami unless you get one from a local breeder. Most of the gouramis lately get sick from DGD, or Dwarf Gourami Disease. Which could kill every fish in the tank.

Do what ever you want, just make sure you run it by us first.

There are a good number of options for a 20 long. What you might want to do is visit some local fish stores, write down the names of fish you like and then research them and ask here. That'll help narrow the choices a bit instead of throwing out various options then you find you can't find them locally.

Also how did you cycle the tank? I saw your intro thread and you mentioned you just set it up. Running it empty doesn't cycle it, so you'll have to decide whether to do a fishless cycle or fish-in. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I think the prevalence of DG disease is a little blown out of proportion. It only seems to affect the stock coming from Asia and even then it's a minority percentage. Regardless I would inquire to the origin of your LFS's stock and of course give the actual fish a thorough examination through sight before you actually buy it.

I think the prevalence of DG disease is a little blown out of proportion. It only seems to affect the stock coming from Asia and even then it's a minority percentage. Regardless I would inquiry to the origin of your LFS's stock and of course give the actual fish a thorough examination through sight before you actually buy it.

+1 to this

There are a good number of options for a 20 long. What you might want to do is visit some local fish stores, write down the names of fish you like and then research them and ask here. That'll help narrow the choices a bit instead of throwing out various options then you find you can't find them locally.

Also how did you cycle the tank? I saw your intro thread and you mentioned you just set it up. Running it empty doesn't cycle it, so you'll have to decide whether to do a fishless cycle or fish-in. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I used this stuff, but my ammonia is still a bit high and my LFS thought maybe I got a bad bottle so they gave me a second one. I put it in yesterday so ill check it again Tuesday and see how that went :) no fish quite yet. Oh and your advice about looking at some fish and doing research is a better way to go. I found that some fish I thought might be interesting wont be a good fit for my tank. So thanks!

Attachments

• image-2429994852.jpg
    image-2429994852.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom