New fish scared of the light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbiefancyowner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a baby Oranda five days ago, and he used to just hide in the back of my tank behind some plants, but he's taken to swimming around a tiny bit, though it's always near the edges, and always towards the bottom. My tank is a fully cycled 20 gallon. When I turn the light off at night, he seems to swim around the entire tank. Should I leave the light off while he adjusts, or is he just scared of the light?

I would leave it off for few days until he adjusts to his new home. When you do go to turn it on again, do so only after he has had time to adjust to the daylight so it isn't such a surprise.

As JLK said, keep the lights off.
That's what i did with my oscar for 1-2 days. Then i offered him bloodworms and he trusted me:)

So my light was off for three days, but I turned it back on and he swam straight back to his hiding spot and hunkered down without much swimming around. I'm not sure what to try next! :(

So my light was off for three days, but I turned it back on and he swam straight back to his hiding spot and hunkered down without much swimming around. I'm not sure what to try next! :(
Don't worry, now that he's used to the tank, let him get used to you and the light. I just stayed beside my aquarium(it's beside my computer) and my oscar got used to me.

I had to catch a pleco in a very heavily planted tank. Basically it took about a week or so to catch her. Of course it ended being a cat and mouse game. She used to enjoy my company; was never afraid of me approaching the tank. Its months since ive relocated her and she has only recently began to trust me again. I wouldn’t be worried. Be delicate you’ll find your fish will begin to get used to you.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! My fish finally got used to the light and is swimming around all day! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom