New fish tank and noticed weird fungus/bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrickenNinja

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm just starting a new 55g tank. It is currently freshwater and is currently in the cycling process. However today I noticed some type of fungus maybe? I'm not sure what it is and I was hoping someone could help identify it and if it is harmful. I attached 3 pictures of it as best as I could. Thanks.

Attachments

• scum.jpg
    scum.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 110
  • scum 2.jpg
    scum 2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 116
  • scum 3.jpg
    scum 3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 106
Do you have live plants in the tank? If so it could by hydra (there's a good picture on that page as well if you click the link; do yours look like that? you may need a magnifying glass). Otherwise I'm not sure, it could be some sort of bacteria or fungus maybe?

This looks similar to something I had (have). I added bacterial supplements during my cycle and once the nitrates started coming up I noticed a a cloudiness to my air tubes and my heater. During a water change, I rubbed it to check and this white film peeled off and spread through the tank. I vacuumed up as much as I could and haven't had any problems.

I also have white hair algae on my driftwood and a few ornaments. I've seen my Angelfish eating it so I guess its ok.

Back
Top Bottom