New fish tank - Overstocked? Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chels10117

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I am new to this website but just decided to join. So nice to meet all of you.
I wanted to ask about my new fish tank I just got. I recently bought a 36 gal bow front aquarium. It's so awesome. I got it complete with heater, filter, air pump, hood, etc., and the stand together on craigslist for only $90. Currently I have one algae eater, 5 glofish tetras (not goldfish), and 5 platys (3 regular platys and 2 variatus platys). I love all of my fish currently. They are very peaceful and active. Water tests are looking great and I have been adding them slowly and testing the water.
(Yes, I did cycle my fish tank first)
I've been doing a lot of research because this is my biggest tank. I have had a 5 gal with a betta named Jimmy before this.
Anyways I have calculated the "1 in of fish for 1 gal" rule. I know it's not fool proof so that's why I'm asking. My 5 glofish tetras will take up 15 gal, the platys 10. I want to get 5 female bettas which would need approx 10 gal. So that would be 35 used gallons and 1 gallon for my algae eater. Do you guys think that is overstocked?
Let me know.
Also, I know bettas are aggressive but my platys are very peaceful and I think because I have a big enough school of tetras they wont fin nip. Which I don't think would be a big deal for the shorter finned females anyways. They are very peaceful as well. My tank has a lot of hiding places. I think it's just the females that would pick at each other.

Anyways... Let me know what you guys think. Thank you so much! :thanks:

The 1" of fish per gallon is a relic from the past that refuses to die despite the need to bring it out back and shoot it. It dates back to when aquariums didn't have filters and just no longer applies.

To put it this way, a 5" long pleco will produce way way way more waste than a 5" long molly. The pleco will put more strain and take up more of the bio load of the tank than the molly will.

To calculate stocking: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Other stuff:
1 - Bettas aren't normally aggressive to other fish, just other bettas. There are outliers that are just bastards regardless of what you put them with, but this isn't super common.
2 - A harem of female bettas can be fun, but from everything I have seen it usually doesn't work in the long run. Many female bettas are still somewhat aggressive towards each other and these sorts of tanks usually end up with one female betta all by herself. I have yet to see a harem tank with long term success.
3 - What type of algae eater do you have?
If it's one of these (or one of their variants) then you have a big big problem on your hands.
algae-eater.jpg

These fish do NOT belong in the hobby and will end up sucking on the slime coats of other fish and even sucking the eye balls out of some others. They are called chinese algae eaters. They kill many many fish sadly.

If it's one of these:
oto1.jpg

Then you picked a good fish. They are schooling fish though and need to be in groups of 6+. There are Otocinclus or Oto cats.

If your algae eater is one of these
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433675673.556542.jpg
Then depending on the actual variety of pleco, a 36 gallon may not be big enough for it alone.

Hi Chels...Welcome and it seems you have quite a colourful tank . I don't think you have overstocked at all and do you have a Siamese algae eater?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom