New fishies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well...Yuppy didn't make it. Not sure what was wrong with him but he wasn't swimming right. I am very disappointed. He was so pretty too and I wasn't even able to get a picture of him. :bawl:

Well...Yuppy didn't make it. Not sure what was wrong with him but he wasn't swimming right. I am very disappointed. He was so pretty too and I wasn't even able to get a picture of him. :bawl:

Oh no.... Can you get a pic of him now? Does the lfs replace dead fish within 14 days?

Oh no.... Can you get a pic of him now? Does the lfs replace dead fish within 14 days?

I already gave him a fish burial. Yes I could have gotten him replaced but both my Local Fish Stores are like a 35min drive and it's not worth the gas to drive all the way up there to replace a $3 fish. I'll see about getting another one whenever I am in that area again but I'm not hanging on to a dead fish until then. I'm starting to get really fed up with buying Petsmart fish. I'm just going to start asking my other LFS if they can order fish in for me. If not, I may start buying from Aquabid. I really hate the high shipping rates but it may be worth not having fish die just because they are unhealthy stock.

If you see dead fish in the tank your gonna buy the fish is in, don't get it because it has a %90 chance of having the dead fishes disease and will, 1. Spread the disease to your other fish, 2. Die within a few days. I don't get why petsmart is that bad. All mine are great and have never gotten a fish that dies within a few days from them.

If you see dead fish in the tank your gonna buy the fish is in, don't get it because it has a %90 chance of having the dead fishes disease and will, 1. Spread the disease to your other fish, 2. Die within a few days. I don't get why petsmart is that bad. All mine are great and have never gotten a fish that dies within a few days from them.

Well my Petsmart is not very knowledgeable on how to properly care for their fish. They had a couple of dead fish in their tanks. The problem is, all their filtration systems are connected so the same water is going through ALL the tanks. If one fish gets sick, it's very possible other fish from other tanks are infected too. My other fish store has separate filtration systems for their tanks and they actually treat the sick fish and put them in quarantine. My Petsmart doesn't take sick fish out, I'm not even sure they treat them.

Well my Petsmart is not very knowledgeable on how to properly care for their fish. They had a couple of dead fish in their tanks. The problem is, all their filtration systems are connected so the same water is going through ALL the tanks. If one fish gets sick, it's very possible other fish from other tanks are infected too. My other fish store has separate filtration systems for their tanks and they actually treat the sick fish and put them in quarantine. My Petsmart doesn't take sick fish out, I'm not even sure they treat them.

My petsmart always makes sure dead fish are out of the tank and I think they separate the sick fish into a back room. But yeah, the filter is one big thing so diseases can spread to other tanks.....

I got so tired of my petsmart. At first I thought maybe it was something I was doing, but after a couple tries with different fish I gave up. You can look back at my threads. I have good params, acclimate well and even QT. I was going to start buying online even with the 35$ shipping just so I could get good quality (was going to give live aquaria a try because 1- I order from foster smith all the time so know they're legit and well 2- they have a great arrive alive stay alive 14 day guarantee. Unlike other online places). Luckily I found a new LFS near me and picked up some albino pristellas which are doing well! Had them for a week. Usually my petsmart fish die within the first few days. I think some petsmart are okay, we are just unlucky to live near the cruddy ones (fish wise! I love petsmart for everything else. Jus not live fish!). So don't take it personally and definitely try other places. I wouldn't buy from them anymore! Your just going to make yourself go crazy.

I got so tired of my petsmart. At first I thought maybe it was something I was doing, but after a couple tries with different fish I gave up. You can look back at my threads. I have good params, acclimate well and even QT. I was going to start buying online even with the 35$ shipping just so I could get good quality (was going to give live aquaria a try because 1- I order from foster smith all the time so know they're legit and well 2- they have a great arrive alive stay alive 14 day guarantee. Unlike other online places). Luckily I found a new LFS near me and picked up some albino pristellas which are doing well! Had them for a week. Usually my petsmart fish die within the first few days. I think some petsmart are okay, we are just unlucky to live near the cruddy ones (fish wise! I love petsmart for everything else. Jus not live fish!). So don't take it personally and definitely try other places. I wouldn't buy from them anymore! Your just going to make yourself go crazy.

Petsolutions also has a 14 day live guarantee and shipping is only $20. And I'm pretty sure live aquaria's shipping is $40, not $35. Petsolutions fish are pretty good quality too even though some fish take forever to get back in stock. But they also have great deals and sales. :)

My petsmart always makes sure dead fish are out of the tank and I think they separate the sick fish into a back room. But yeah, the filter is one big thing so diseases can spread to other tanks.....

I once saw a Tiger Oscar that was almost completely covered in white fluffy fungus. The poor thing could barely swim and they still had it in the tank with the other Oscars. I felt so bad for it I wanted to tank it home and treat it but The biggest tank I have is a 20 gallon and I knew that wasn't nearly big enough to keep it in. :(

I once saw a Tiger Oscar that was almost completely covered in white fluffy fungus. The poor thing could barely swim and they still had it in the tank with the other Oscars. I felt so bad for it I wanted to tank it home and treat it but The biggest tank I have is a 20 gallon and I knew that wasn't nearly big enough to keep it in. :(

Haha. That's not the worst I've seen ( but this was at petco ), there was a tank full of oscars ( again lol ) and each one had no tail, no fins, and couldn't move at all. It was terrible and they were being kept in like a 5 gal tank. ( there were 4-5 oscars being kept in a 5 gal tank :nono: ).

Yeah, I'm going to look at those online stores. Thanks for the recommendations. I do like my Petsmart for some other supplies but I buy most of mine online.

Yeah, I'm going to look at those online stores. Thanks for the recommendations. I do like my Petsmart for some other supplies but I buy most of mine online.

Yup. Petsolutions and live aquaria are both very reliable sites and have a very wide selection of both fw and SW fish, plants, and inverts.

Petsolutions also has a 14 day live guarantee and shipping is only $20. And I'm pretty sure live aquaria's shipping is $40, not $35. Petsolutions fish are pretty good quality too even though some fish take forever to get back in stock. But they also have great deals and sales. :)

Oh I'm going to check out pet solutions! I love that they have 14 day guarantee. Liveaquaria has 35 for next day and 40 something (maybe 49?) for Saturday.

Oh I'm going to check out pet solutions! I love that they have 14 day guarantee. Liveaquaria has 35 for next day and 40 something (maybe 49?) for Saturday.

Yeah. Petsolutions shipping used to be only $15!!! But they raised it to $20. But that is still a good price :).

Back
Top Bottom