New Five gallon planted community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishChem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! Very, very new to aquarium keeping; the only tank I had before this was a simple three gallon with a betta. So my new tank is a whole other ball game.
I've done a crazy amount of research and have been going through A LOT of trial and error. I think I finally have a good set up but I've been wrong before. Please check my tank and tell me if I'm about to have dead fish or plants.
I use liquid API leaf zone for the plants, and Omega one slow sinking mini pellets for the fish. Occasionally frozen brine shrimp (for Betta) and blanched pea(for Cory).
I have more important details on my profile and an album with pictures of the set up.
Also how in the world am I supposed to vacuum my gravel with out dismantling my entire set up and without desturbing the plants?

Your tank looks to be overstocked. From my count you have a betta, 4 glowlight tetras and a cory. usually you give about an inch per gallon and when these fish grow up you'll surely be over that...

you have low maintenance plants, java fern and an amazon sword which get their nutrients from both the water column and the gravel. you shouldn't need to vacuum your gravel as it is a good place for bacteria and food for your sword. your cory is also a schooling fish so if that fish is inactive, he's likely lonely or depressed.

you should only need to vacuum your gravel one or twice a month and only hit the areas in the front of the tank where people can see it, a tank that size you need all the bacteria you can get

How much larger will the Black Neons and the Green Cory get?
The Cory seems fine, how worried should I be about the Cory not having a friend?

The inch per gallon rule is pretty outdated and not reliable...

Ideally you'd want at least 6 of each of the cories and tetras. They also need a bigger tank.

Getting a Bigger tank isn't an option for me at the moment. Maybe 5 or 6 months from now; if I'm being really hopeful.
Could I get the Cory a friend or am I already seriously pushing my luck?

I know it's outdated and not reliable but given her tank setup it's the only thing I really could go off of.. it's not like she has a terrible filter or an incredible one it's a stock setup so it's kinda how I base stocking rates in a stock setup.

anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a cory friend if you can't upgrade your tank right now. just be aware those fish are community fish and do better in schools of 6 or more. just monitor your water parameters and enjoy them. they might not be the happiest fish during this time but you'll still see some activity from them. just make sure you do your water changes as needed (when nitrates get to 40 or more a water change is a must). I hope you're testing your water regularly! a small tank like that can change quickly! I have a 6 gallon tank and I have to do 3 times weekly 50% water changes. just be aware of your water parameters and find a schedule for daily and weekly maintenance.

You havnt done any research.... the words "5 gallon community tank" alone show me that. Hey them a 20 gallon tank and leave the betta in the 5.

Understood, thank you. If I could get a bigger tank for the fish, what is the best size?

Back
Top Bottom