new gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, i have a 20 gal currently. Had it for about 3 years now and it is perfectly cycled and well balanced. I've only had community tropical fish all this time but am down to my last tetra. once he goes i would like to try some semi aggressive fish like tiger barbs, etc. I really want to change the gravel though and get new artificial plants. How would i go about changing the gravel without upsetting the whole cycle of the tank? Am i going to have to start over with the cycle again? If i saved all the water and used it to fill the tank back up after the new gravel would that be enough to have the cycle pick back up? any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. I won't get the new fish till it's stable again. thanks

The water will not help. There is no bacteria in the water. Your filter should have enough to keep the system stable. Remove your water change your gravel and fill her back up again. Add a few fish first and check you parameters, but you should be ok. I recently changed substrate and had no cycle problems.

Start by going into the article section here and read over the article on the CYCLE. I get the feeling that you don't understand exactly what is going on in there.

I could go on to give you a brief synapse, but really, what's the point, as you can read it there.

That being said, the beneficial bacteria you want clings to solid surfaces. Water has nothing (read little, but not really the point) to do with it. You've got a ton of bacteria all over your tank, and will likely only see a mini-cycle when you add new fish.

Keep in mind, that if this tank is empty, your bacteria are dieing. They live on the waste products of your fish, and with no fish, have nothing to live on. You will (generally) have enough bacteria to handle your specific bioload. If you only have one fish in there now, and you add a school of anything, you are going to go through a cycle.

Your best bet would be to do your work in there (change gravel, plants, etc.), read the article on the CYCLE, especially the fishless cycle, and treat this as a new tank.

Good luck!

i read the article on fishless cycling. i would assume you only use saltwater if you're running a saltwater tank, otherwise just fresh water. is this correct?

That is correct that article can be applied to a FW tank as well as a SW tank. In fresh water you can use more ammonia instead of a shrimp. Just be sure it has no fragrances or soaps added to it.

Back
Top Bottom