New Guy Needing Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seeker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone. I hope I am posting in the right place...

My name is Jacob and I am new to the world of Aquarium kept fish.
I don't know to much but what I have read via the web and this site, asking people at the pet stores, and what I remember when I kept a Gold Fish in a bowl when I was 10. HA!

That being said, I am sure you all can help me beyond belief-

My girlfriend and I decided that we wanted to get a small tank for our new apartment and she picked out a Fluval Chi. (Click for images)

Again, I know nothing really about tanks or filtration or anything before I bought it, all I knew was that it was the perfect size for our little apartment and the girlfriend liked the look.

Before I ask my questions, I want to answer some that may come up for those not familiar with the Chi.
(Some info taken from site)
Size: 5 Gallons
Filtration:
"The Fluval chi utilizes a full three stage mechanical, chemical, and biological filter, specifically designed to prevent water bypass, provide clear water, and promote a healthy nano living environment. Two separate filtration media are available for the chi: the foam pad and filter pad. The foam pad should remain in the filter to foster biological growth while the filter pad removes finer debris and chemical impurities through carbon filtration." (Thats all I know. I don't remember exact specs...trying to find them.) Whats unique is the filtered water bubbles back out of the filter like a fountain at the top.
LIGHTING:
"The Fluval chi features two separate cool-white LED lighting units: a 12 LED submersible light unit illuminates the aquarium from the bottom of the filtration box while a second set of LEDs shines upward and lights the water as it flows back into the aquarium."

Here is what I have done so far as told by the keeper of the fish at PetCo;(remember hind sight is 20/20) I cleaned the take and all parts with water and cleaned the gravel with water. Filled the bottom with standard black fish bowl gravel, and as requested by my GF, bought a living plant to put in there. Filled the bad boy up and added the right amounts of supplied magic fish liquids to the tank. (Nutrafin- Cycle and Aqua +Plus) One is for biological use and the other is for conditioning the water.

I have let the tank run with the filter on for about 48 hours and I started to do research on fish for this tank as I was told by my GF that she would be horrified to find a dead fish in there. (Great.)

So...question time.
1) My water has now become kind of foggy looking. Not bad. I don't know if it is just oxygen from the fountain on top or something from the only living thing in there right now (the plant-species I do not recall- we were told it would grow great in there) or something wrong with my water. I got these little strip test kit which tells me pH, Hardness, Alkalinity, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels, but I don't know what to do about any of it. Out of the tap, we have VERY hard water, high Alkalinity and pH, but low Nitrite and Nitrate water. What should I do?

2) I have read a lot about how many of you hate 5g tanks as they are hard to keep fish in, but I wanted a few recommendations. I saw the tank have 3 gold fish on the package and was very mislead. I though it would be perfect for two fancy gold fish- I was wrong. So I would love to maybe get a couple of pretty guppies and a snail. I also considered a Betta, but we kind of want a couple of fish. Can you do two FEMALE Betta fish together? I have seen both answers.

3) Heater? I have read all over that it is impossible to keep the water really warm with this tank as it has no lid and the water evaporates to fast from the fountain. Can I get away without one?

I am planning on posting a picture or two and maybe you can help me ID the plant too, to make sure I am addressing it's needs too.

I really am learning on the fly here and as much as you can let me know would be great!

Thanks so much in advance.
Jacob

Fishless cycle for dummies

Welcome to AA
Before you add or buy any fish, please read the sticky thread on this site call:
"Fishless cycle for dummies"

This will help you to understandt the ammonia cycle and the use of the test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.

Once you cycle the tank then you can add fish and listen for more recomendations for the size of your tank.

If you follow the fishless cycle, your girlfriend will have better chances of not seeing dead or unhappy fish!!

:p

Answers

1) The fog might be from the substrate or it could be from bateria started to grow and your cycle starting. This should clear up in around 48 hours

2) Well 5gal is not much to work with. 2 gold fish isnt going to happen unless you want to be doing water changes every other day lol. Guppies are hot water fish and dont do all that good in cold water. I would reccomend the male Betta alot more colourful and longer fins, i would not put the 2 females in together there is a chance that they will fight. But what you could do instead of another fish are snails. Not shrimp the betta will eat them more then likely. Snails can be nice to look at and keep your tank clean.

3) I think you could get a heater really. There are small one for 5 gals if you look around you'll be able to find one more than likely. Its also better for the male to have warmth it will make him more active colourful.

Now finally i think you should buy an API master freshwater test kit. it test everything you will need to be able to know if you cycle has started and finished. It contains, Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte and PH high and low range
freshwater-aquarioum-test-kits.jpg

ejaramillo01,

I actually read that just after posting this thread. Question- will that hurt the plant I have in there? Will it hurt the cycle I have started from the above stated products?

Are those products good?

Jason,

Thanks for the info.
1. Substrate- meaning the gravel in the bottom? Is this good or bad that I have a cycle? Could this be from the products?

2. I have gotten over the gold fish idea. No two female betta fish, and guppies are warm water. Well darn. I have considered snails, that's a winner idea. I think it is a must at this point in time. A betta seems pretty good- but... (See 3)

3. A heater just doesn't seem logical. I have attached photos of the tank and the plant.

Would love info on the plant and any more advice people can give to help this beginner out.

-Jacob

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    151 KB · Views: 121
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 114
Welcome to AA

1. It seems a little foggy, but not a whole bunch. Every fish needs a cycle tank, meaning clean water (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-20 nitrates, 6.0-8.0 Ph) Heres a link to the nitrogen cycle The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle.

2. I would not do a male betta as they are known to jump out of tanks without lids. As far as the goldfish, I would say that is a no go, A single fancy goldfish needs 20 gallons for its self and the addtional goldfish need 10 gallon of water, The bigger types of goldfish (comets, Shubunkin, etc) need 100+ ponds.

I would recommend not to have guppies, They need at least 10 gallons of water.

have you considered any CPD's (Celestial Pearl Danios) or a group of Endlers? As for the snail, Have you considered a netrite snail. You might be able to slip one in, but make sure that you have a supply of algae in there (Also algae wafers)

3. I also recommend a heater for the tank, There arent any coldwater fish that can go in there.

The plant looks like some kind of sword, but im not sure.

Tyler

I had that tank and had no problems with the heater. DON'T get a small heater for a 5g. Get a larger-rated heater, a 50watt heater is what I have and stayed at 78, which is what I had set it at. If you get a 25watt heater then yes it won't work.
Also, those "cycling in a bottle" products are typically bull-poop. We don't talk about fishless cycling all the time for nothing. If there was an easy shortcut, don't you think we'd all be doing it? ;)

The plant will do nothing in the cycle
The products are something you dont actually put in the tank but actually you take water out and test the water for different things.
The plant also looks like Anubius to me, can you take a photo of the bottom of it please this will help ID it.

A+ for the celestial pearl danio suggestion if you don't want a betta.

However, a betta in a five gallon tank is actually a whole lot of personality. They are a very interactive fish, much more so than your other limited choices. Once used to their surroundings, a betta will truly interact with you. They are curious by nature and become very tame when kept in a peaceful environment.

You can house a betta with some real amano shrimp; they are fast and stout enough, unlike red cherrys or other ornamental shrimp, and their bioload is negligable. Add a showy snail and another plant or two you'll have a nice setup.

If a betta is housed alone and his tank kept clean, it will probably stay in the water. I've kept large numbers of bettas without covers for years. I only ever had one jump out and it was definately under stress.

I agree with allll of that Mudraker. I actually kept a betta in a chi, and he never jumped out.

All of you are being as huge help.

I am starting my cycle tomorrow. (That sounds weird for a guy to say/type)
Just need to go grab the test kit.

jenatronQT3.14159,
What kind of heater did you do with your Chi? And how much did it set you back?

On the same track as the heater... Temp varies by fish I assume...or do "tropical" freshwater fish all go for the same temp?

Jason7894561230,
The bottles actually say for those products to go right into the tank for "conditioning" it. I have tossed them out now though after reading the BS comment.

Also, that test kit, if I have high levels of or Ammonia or whatever (Besides Nitrites and Nitrates) how do I combat that?

Tank is less foggy today by the way.

I will try to grab a pic of the plants roots, but now that I look at more pics on the web, it definitely looks like amazon sword.

Thanks a million again-
Jacob

-Jacob

When I was looking at aquarium equipment I came across this heater:
The Fluval 25 watt compact aquarium heater is an automatic, submersible heater for use in indoor aquariums. Without any adjustments needed, it is designed to reach and maintain the set temperature of 26ºC (78ºF). The exterior is made of a tough polymer so that it will not crack or break like traditional glass sleeve heaters. The heater is ideal for aquariums up to 6.6 gallons (25 L) and can be used in fresh and saltwater.
a756.jpg

It only has one temperature setting, 78ºF, and I'd definately keep a thermometer with it to make sure it heats to the right temp.

Any fish will have a temperature range in which they can comfortably enjoy their habitat. Most tropical fish like a temperature between 75ºf and 82ºf. It's always best to research the individual fish you want to make sure you're giving them what they need.

jenatronQT3.14159,
What kind of heater did you do with your Chi? And how much did it set you back?

On the same track as the heater... Temp varies by fish I assume...or do "tropical" freshwater fish all go for the same temp?

Also, that test kit, if I have high levels of or Ammonia or whatever (Besides Nitrites and Nitrates) how do I combat that?

I have a hydor theo 50watt. I don't know how much it was because it came in a kit I bought for my old tank.

A good resource for seeing ideal tank temperature (as well as PH) for your inhabitants is aqadvisor.com. You plug in your tank dimensions and your filter and your inhabitants. It tells you if you're overstocked, if fish need to school, if your filter is good enough, and ideal levels for all of your fish together,etc. If I'm not mistaken it has the chi as a selectable pre-set tank size, but I'm not sure what to put for the filter.
Also, you can try liveaquaria.com. It gives you a lot of helpful information about your fish.

Frequent Partial Water Changes (PWC) are best for keeping levels low.

when you have high levels of amonia your best option is to do a water change. expect high levels of amonia when you are cycling, though. that is normal. good luck! your tank is awesome! oh, and i would also love to know what kind of plant you have because i have one aswell....and i don't think it gets enough of what it needs because the leaves keep deteriorating

Hi just adding a thought, won't the snails if you do decide on them climb straight out as the Chi hasn't got a lid. I've a few apple snails and those little speed demons get to the underside of my light lid out of the water.

Hi just adding a thought, won't the snails if you do decide on them climb straight out as the Chi hasn't got a lid. I've a few apple snails and those little speed demons get to the underside of my light lid out of the water.

HA! I never thought about that.

Wow. I guess that might be an issue...

Update: Bought a heater today from my local pet store. I hope this sucker works. I plan on getting some long bamboo shoot to hide it behind.

-Jacob

I plan on getting some long bamboo shoot to hide it behind

I would strongly advise you to hold off on adding the bamboo until after your tank is cycled. Bamboo is voracious and will definately slow the cycling process. I can explain why if you want a long-winded explanation.

Also, it is not a truly aquatic plant. If you do decide add some after the tank is cycled, make sure the leafs are out of the water and only the stem is submerged or the leafs will melt and die. very messy process.

I was going to say have a look at a make of heater called the AquaEL neo or easy heater. The neo has it's own built in digital thermometer and it's very streamlined black quite flat and looks quite good in my 8 litre Nano tank the 50w works well keeping it very stable.

Richard

Guess I'm a little late with this since you already have the heater, but we've been really happy with a single male Paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis) in our 2.5 gal mini-tank. He's graceful, beautiful (ours is "hi-blue"), tough, tolerates cooler temperatures, and isn't quite as messy as goldfish. Besides, they're less familiar to most people than Bettas and goldfish, which adds to the "mystique." Unfortunately, they can be as pugnacious as male Bettas with their own kind (and everyone else), so you're limited to a solo tank. We're still trying to find a suitable tank mate—we hoped he wouldn't notice the Otocinclus we added, but he disappeared within a couple of weeks. Anyway, it's another alternative to think about.

Just my 2¢,
HeyMikey

Mikey,

Thanks for the advice.

I will look into it.

I do have a heater, but the water still stays pretty cool. (Around 74 degrees is what I am seeing. Need to get another thermostat to double check. It may be off.)

Someone made the argument that almost every fish needs a heater. Idk.

Anyways. Everything is going great.

I do have a quick question for you guys again though.

A friend of mine has offered me some of his tank water. He said that will take care of me having to cycle at all. Is this true?

Thanks,
Jacob

that is an awesome question...i would also like to know the answer to that! (sorry i can't provide you with an answer). If its possible to do so, I would test your friends water first to make sure its "good" water and check how healthy his fish are. it would be awful to transfer water to a new tank from a sick tank. can't wait to hear the answer to this! =)

Back
Top Bottom