New here, just saying hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T1Dtroy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody, new to the fish commmunity just looking for good advice and good vibes [emoji1360] long story short, i used to have 3 red eared sliders in a 75 gallon tank and had to rehome them...so 2 weeks ago my wife convinced me to turn it into a fish tank...my wife has had tanks before so knew where she wanted to start, we currently have 3 ghost shrimp, 3 gouramis (2 dwarf 1 fire) 3 neon tetras and 4 barbs and 2 algae eaters that were in with the turtles and are huge...iv got a Fluval FX6 cleaning the tank at the moment and have been told that should be sufficient for a long while...any input or advice is always appreciated [emoji3]
IMG_1478836303.132613.jpgIMG_1478836319.003928.jpgIMG_1478836341.133605.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1478836398.189470.jpg
    IMG_1478836398.189470.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 36
Ok...not using bottled water just water from my faucet inside my house, conditioned with some "Prime"...how many more tetras would you suggest? Tank has been setup for two weeks now

The tetras ad barbs need at least 5 individuals preferably 8 to thrive. The gouramis may be aggressive with eachother so keep an eye on them.

You still have the bottom range to inhabit. You could do a nice group 6-8 cory cats or even dwarf crayfish, actually both work together.

for neon tetras the more the merrier. They form schools of hundreds (if not more) in the wild. I have 15 in a 20 gallon and am thinking about adding them to my 55. The more you have the more natural and interesting their behavior will be. I would say at least have 10 in your tank minimum. But in a tank so huge i think you should try 15 and see how you like them and maybe get more.

Same goes with Corydoras. They form huge schools in the wild. People recommend getting at least five. But these are schooling fish too. I say get at least 10. Getting ten should let you get some idea of how they move and behave in your tank to see if you want more. (there are plenty of varieties to choose from). I love corys and they keep the substrate clean....though looking at your tank I don't think it would be compatible with corydoras who like fine substrates especially sand because they have sensitive barbels (whiskers) that they use to search for food.

I personally always recommend Kuhli loaches (if you haven't heard or seen these guys before they are worth a google.....especially look up videos of them because they are interesting swimmers) though you run into the same problems as mentioned previously as they like fine substrate like sand.....and they like being in groups.

Both of these types I have experience with. Your barbs would probably also like being in a bigger group though i have never kept them personally. i have heard they can be nippers so that may affect some of your options.

And depending on how well planted your tank is or could be (i'm a sucker for planted tanks) if your ghost shrimp have survived pretty well (especially if you do big water changes.....shrimp can be sensitive to water parameter fluctuations) through your average water changes then you might could move on to some other types of shrimp). just make sure they have plenty of spaces to hide and safely molt away from your big fish that might see them as food.

I hope i helped!!! Good luck with your tank

Back
Top Bottom