New here, new to the hobby, 50-60g community tank questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have done a bunch of research already and plan to do a whole lot more before I jump in and start buying stuff (want to be really prepared).

I am planning to do fishless cycle to get started and will be a full planted tank. I have an idea of what kind of canister filter i want and what heaters i will use already too.

I have alot of questions about the type of fish I can have and what will get along well with other. I also want fish that will not harm my plants. Is it possible to have some inverts as well? if so which ones can i use?

I have seen some fish that I do find aesthetically pleasing, but no idea if they are good for my ideal tank.

Also don't know if I should go with a couple schools or fish or just a few larger showcase type fish? I really like cichlids and for school type fish I enjoy rainbows. what can you guys suggest?

So i have done a bunch of research already and plan to do a whole lot more before I jump in and start buying stuff (want to be really prepared).

I am planning to do fishless cycle to get started and will be a full planted tank. I have an idea of what kind of canister filter i want and what heaters i will use already too.

I have alot of questions about the type of fish I can have and what will get along well with other. I also want fish that will not harm my plants. Is it possible to have some inverts as well? if so which ones can i use?

I have seen some fish that I do find aesthetically pleasing, but no idea if they are good for my ideal tank.

Also don't know if I should go with a couple schools or fish or just a few larger showcase type fish? I really like cichlids and for school type fish I enjoy rainbows. what can you guys suggest?

Depends what u want from your tank i have a55 gallon with a bunch of small fish i enjoy having allot of fish to watch.

Ideally I would like all levels of the tank to have some life. A couple bottom, some school for the mid and maybe some larger centerpiece fish and some for the top.

I basically just don't want fighting.

Ideally I would like all levels of the tank to have some life. A couple bottom, some school for the mid and maybe some larger centerpiece fish and some for the top.

I basically just don't want fighting.

Look into community fish they're friendly to each other

seems like alot of people put the wrong type of fish together... i will go to my lfs and have a look at what i like and go from there.

seems like alot of people put the wrong type of fish together... i will go to my lfs and have a look at what i like and go from there.

Id google the fish you like lfs people often have no idea what they are talking about. Ghost shrimp and Nerite or mystery snails are nice additions as well.

There are a couple cichlids that will go in a community. Rams, for example.

I like variety so in a 65 I have an angel, two different male livebearers, a school of black neons, a dwarf gourami, corydoras, khuli loaches, a bristlenose pleco, two rams, and a group of threadfin rainbows (a male and three females). For inverts, two nerites and a gold mystery snail. Everyone gets along so far and its a busy (but happy) group. I just picked things I liked and double checked compatability before buying. As always, fish are individuals so you could get a brute but my most aggressive fish is the molly. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom