New here - question in soil for a new aquarium setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wdk1990

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Who has experience with the Colombo Flora Base pro and/or ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil?

I’ve been told contradictory opinions in different aquarium stores on the Flora Base Pro. One stating that it’s a soil that can be used without gravel or sand on top and that stays stable throughout many years. Another store warned that it would essentially become mud after a year an that a top coat of gravel or sand. I’m confused and don’t know what to believe anymore.

Since I’m planning on starting a new aquarium in a few weeks I’d like buy the best possible soil for the aquarium. It will be moderately planted and will house a betta, harlequin rasboras and neon tetras.

What are your experiences and opinions?

Anyone using such a soil with a top coat op gravel or sand? Or no soil and gravel or sand?

Any help is appreciated!

Hello wdk...

Using soil is messy and the nutrients in the stuff only nourishes the plants for a short time. The work to keep the tank clear isn't worth the effort. I used soil for a short time a number of years ago and the plant growth was good, but the work I put into setting things up, outweighed the benefits.

Your choice though.

B

I'm still using EcoComplete. Been wanting to try one of the aqua soils but the EC has been working out so far (except with dwarf baby tears). Cost and product longevity are also reasons I've not ventured in that direction.
Both of the aqua soils you listed will release ammonia initially, will alter the pH, and will eventually breakdown. But in terms of plant growth and nutrient content some swear by it and won't use anything else.
From what I understand, neither require a cap.
An alternative you might want to consider is ADA Amazonia Light. All the benefits of regular Amazonia but without the ammonia spike. AA member Autumnsky has first experience with that product. She might be using it in her Caridina shrimp tank(s).

Back
Top Bottom