The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TuscBear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have had fish tanks for years. i have several fresh water and one salt water. over the past few weeks i am embarking on a new tank, something i have always wanted to do, Discus' i have been doing a lot of research on them over the internet and i think things are going good. i have a 60gal hex tank. i am using an RO/DI filtering system and i have my water test kits. In my fourth week of the tank being up and running (no fish) my water levels are perfect.
i have a very large piece of drift wood that sitting on the bottom still sticks out the top of water about an inch or so. looks pretty cool.
The only thing i am worried about at this point is the water hardness. I have read about adding peat moss to the filter, but i dont know is it safe to just go to the local garden center and get "peat moss" or buy it online in pellet form?
can anyone please give me advice as to what to do next. Thanks.

First of warm welcome to AA

Your worried about hardness? Youre ro unit makes the water super soft surely? You can add minerals to the ro water or mix it with plain tap water if you want to raise it??

I have seen afew tanks were the wood is sticking out the water, it looks great. Wouldnt mind seeing afew pics of your tank.

Im following with great interest as I would like a discus tank one day!

Post pics if you can!

here is a picture of my Discus' tank. almost ready for the discus

it has corys and alot of tetras in it. It is doing great and yes im using aquarium salt and discus buffer.

Can u see it now

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130307_081249.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_081249.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom