New member in MN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teshi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently started a 55gal freshwater tank that I'm hoping to eventually be able to have discus fish in.

I set the tank up about 3wks ago and finally purchased 4 discus fish for it last week. My LFS has been very helpful but, all 4 fish died within the week. A few things went wrong. The heater is defective. When set at 94 it is only 79 in the tank. They also set me up with a digital thermometer that read the tank at 86.6 and when I put in a thermometer it only reads 79. And for some reason there is ammonia showing up in my tank. (Even after doing 2 water changes within the week they died). They had me use a bacteria additive to help cycle my tank (stability?), but now after reading it doesn't sound like that is what should have happened.

I am using RO water mixed with tap water. 4:1/gal My ph is also a bit high 7.8 They told me this shouldn't have been a factor in the fish dieing.

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Moved to getting started.

Hi and welcome! how much ammonia did the tank have? Also did you cycle the tank with ammonia prior to adding fish or just let it run? Discus in particular need very specific requirements and they're very sensitive to a tank that hasn't been properly cycled. There's a link below in my signature; guide to starting a freshwater aquarium. The first thing it covers is cycling. Give it a read, it may help. Discus also require daily water changes even after a tank is cycled. Here's a guide to setting up and maintaining a Discus tank that may help too: Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus

Thanks Librarygirl , this is kind of funny but I've been researching Discus fish for about a year now and had already bookmarked the site you linked :) I've done everything pretty much how they outlined it. I really want the challenge of raising discus but not at the cost of losing fish either. I went to a different FS today quite a ways from my home. The fish there were in a MUCH MUCH MUCH healthier state. I tested my water today before I left to make sure things were right for getting new fish. ammonia-0 Nitrites-0 Things looked like a thumbs up. I took in a water sample with me and they agreed. So I did purchase 3 new fish. I was quite astonished on how different they looked compared to how the fish looked in the other FS. I'm hoping for the best. Wish Us luck!

Thanks Librarygirl , this is kind of funny but I've been researching Discus fish for about a year now and had already bookmarked the site you linked :) I've done everything pretty much how they outlined it. I really want the challenge of raising discus but not at the cost of losing fish either. I went to a different FS today quite a ways from my home. The fish there were in a MUCH MUCH MUCH healthier state. I tested my water today before I left to make sure things were right for getting new fish. ammonia-0 Nitrites-0 Things looked like a thumbs up. I took in a water sample with me and they agreed. So I did purchase 3 new fish. I was quite astonished on how different they looked compared to how the fish looked in the other FS. I'm hoping for the best. Wish Us luck!

Hm, be careful. Your tank probably tested 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite because it didn't have an ammonia source. In a properly cycled tank, the filter will have certain bacteria in it that can process the ammonia the fish put out. In your tank though, I doubt there's enough bacteria yet if it was only set up a few weeks ago and wasn't cycled first. So now that you've added fish the ammonia is going to spike again thereby putting the fish at risk. Just keep testing water and do water changes as needed. Hopefully these guys will make it; if not you'll want to consider cycling the tank fishless with pure ammonia before getting more. Good luck.

I do feel the tank was cycled. I wouldn't have added fish to it if I thought it wasn't. Both LFS feel this way too. I guess I left out of my original post that they gave me a media(sponge) from one of their tanks. After the fish died I put in a few rummy nose to keep fish in it. They have been fine. The tank with 7 Rummy nose and now 3 discus is still testing 0-amm/0-nitrites/0-nitrates.
I fed them this morning and all but one ate, so i kept a close eye and after a couple hours noticed the one that wasnt eating start picking at the gravel. They all look great... and Happy. Not shy or hiding. I'm still keeping a VERY close eye on things just to make sure.
One piece of advice I am totally going to follow. If you think you should do a PWC do it. I do plan on doing these daily to make sure the water is as clean as possible.
I do agree that maybe there is a chance that it wasn't cycled. Thats why I do want to keep close tabs. I don't want to seem like i'm in denial about this. Maybe I am. :-(

the 0 nitrates leads me to believe that you are not really cycled. have you ever had nitrates in there?

don't get me wrong, I hope you are, but in the chance that you are not I would be checking that water like crazy. 2-3 times a day and possibly more than one water change a day if need since you have the discus in there.

good luck and let us know how it goes!

If you're near st. Paul. There's a fish/reptile shop on university near U of M.

Thank you Heather, That's whats been bugging me. Yes when i cycled the tank i did get nitrates but since I've added fish no I haven't.
I just tested my water again 0-ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. Ph is 7.8 I don't have a high ph tester yet but it has been ordered.

Yes I feel like a fanatic checking the water as often as I am but I don't want these fish to die. They all still look great. I just fed them and they are eating. It took a while for them to start but they are. After they are done eating PWC.

I love Discus...could you post some pics?

It's possible you won't see nitrate now anyway since the fish probably don't put out too much and your daily water changes will keep them at 0. You sound like you're on top of things, good luck with your fish. ;)

pics

They are about 2.5-3in just small yet.

Attachments

• 100_3419 (550x413).jpg
    100_3419 (550x413).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 64
I really need to get a python. How do you put in the de-chlorinator when you use to fill it back up? And does anyone know the length of the faucet connector? I'd be hooking it up in a bathroom faucet.

Teshi said:
I really need to get a python. How do you put in the de-chlorinator when you use to fill it back up? And does anyone know the length of the faucet connector? I'd be hooking it up in a bathroom faucet.

I pour in my prime then aim the water at that spot. The entire python connector is about 6"

Hmm interesting. That's only a little over an hour away. Do they carry discus?

Teshi said:
Hmm interesting. That's only a little over an hour away. Do they carry discus?

I can't say for sure, but he has around 80 55+ gallon tanks, so I'd say odds are in your favor.

I love mine! got a Lee's gravel vac from drs foststers... works fine for me! sure does make those water changes alot easier!! I have 90 gallon so I know what you mean. I got a 50ft hose and hook it up to the kitchen sink. and then for draining I just put the hose out the front door. works like a charm!!mine is like 5" when all squished in for filling

Back
Top Bottom