New nano-tank, first tank in 6 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ameise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I used to keep a community 30g tank in the past (centered around Almora Loaches - I miss them) but I unfortunately have moved several times, have not had an aquarium since then, adopted two cats, and have otherwise been completely out of the loop aquarium-wise.

Our current rental won't allow a large aquarium. However, we can get away with a nano-aquarium (given its small volume). I've been looking at a DIY cookie-jar aquarium (probably with this jar), and should have the skills/knowledge to pull it off.

On that note, I wanted to pick people's brains a bit on this to make up for my lack of current knowledge.

What lighting would you use? I'm looking into LED lighting (either made myself or premade). I'm not sure how much wattage or what temperature to go with in regards to LEDs; they're a bit foreign compared to CFLs, but their efficiency makes them nigh-on a no-brainer.

What substrate would you use? I want this tank to be stocked (albeit very lightly; I'm trying to choose the stock based on the extremely limited volume and swimming area), but more importantly I want it to be very heavily planted (sort of necessary given its size). I've been looking into a few substrates, like ADA Aquasoil (both granules and powder), Fluval Stratum, and Eco-Complete. They do concern me given the low volume of this tank, in that their altering the water chemistry could end up being very bad.

Any suggestions on the plants themselves? I need to do more research in this area - limited volume, high light, low stock, but any advice would always be welcome.

I like eco-complete and you could cap it with sand depending on the type of fish you go with. My plants love it and I have no issues with using it in smaller tanks. Good luck!

What type of filter are you going to use? Ever think of making it a shrimp tank. Maybe have it as a 360 view tank, sponge filter in the middle surrounded by plants so its not seen and moss in front of those plants for the shrimp to pick away at endlessly. That's what I would do anyway.

Yeah, something only a few gallons would only be suitable for shrimp or possibly a betta. Have you thought of possibly a Walstad bowl?

Depending on your lighting here are some of my favorite nano plants:

Anubias nana "petite"
Java fern "Philippine" or narrow leaf (just use a small plantlet)
Crypt parva
Dwarf sag
Microsword
Ammania sp "Bonsai"
Flame moss

For a variety of reasons, I don't have much choice over the container. The container itself, according to its specification (discounting the rim), is ~9" x 11.5" which is about 3.16 US gallons. The height does gives me room for taller plants, and there should be the ability to stock it with small fish (minnows?). Not to worried about stocking it yet, though - my plan was a few White Cloud Minnows (low bioload, fairly small, they would have a bit of swimming room in this size) and a few Cherry Shrimp.

As per the mosses, I was looking at either flame moss or Christmas moss (the latter looked better to me).

The filter is either going to be a basic air-driven sponge-filter, or a powerhead (Azoo 180) driven sponge filter, if I can get its flow to a safe level. I'm planning on relying on nitrifying bacteria and the plants for filtration, along with water changes.

About to log off for the day, so I thought I'd post now. Regardless of the stocking of the tank, I picked up some Aquasoil (it seemed useful for some other projects as well)... so my plan:

Substrate:

Bottom ½-1" will be pumice, maybe reinforced with laterite? Mainly to promote flow.
Next 1-2" will be Aquasoil.
Next ½-1" will be some black sand (not sure of the type yet).

Lighting:
Not sure yet. Whatever is best for the system; will adjust based upon parameters found during initial set-up and testing.

Plants:
Heavily planted. Unsure of which plants, but assuredly mosses will be there.

Stocking:
The plan after about a month (due to Aquasoil leaking ammonia otherwise) is to add some Red Cherry Shrimp, and possibly thereafter 2 White Cloud Minnows. The delay should give the plants a bit of time to grow, though I imagine I'll need to supplement CO2 in the meantime?

Filtration:
Either air-driven or powerhead-driven sponge filter. The latter interests me because it will help promote flow in the jar and disturb the surface more.

Back
Top Bottom