Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New owner not sure food quantities!

Hi everyone,

We got 6 new fish yesterday, two gouramis, 3 cobra guppies, and one banjo catfish. They are all still really tiny apart from the gouramis which are about 1.5 inches. I'm not sure if I'm feeding them enough, I'm feeding them a finger-pinch of fish flakes in the morn and evening, but it looks like the cobras especially are looking for food right now. I really don't want to overfeed them. Any advice?

Danielle

X

Old 10-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO it's worse to overfeed than underfeed. Trust me, I went through this already and it took me a while to control the spikes in Ammonia. You should be fine, especially if you feed twice a day. Wait for other suggestions as well. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better! I'll keep the feeds to twice a day for now then I guess, keep an eye on them
Old 10-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They should be fine with your schedule. As was said before, it's better to underfeed then to overfeed. They may be looking for food but they're greedy little buggers.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I feed my fish 1-2 .5mm-1mm (depending on their size) pellets every other day... so you're feeding significantly more than I do.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It's good to know how much you're feeding yours, gives me a much better idea! I'll sleep better tonight knowing they won't starve! Thanks everyone!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Look It Up

Good info above. I just wanted to also ask if this is a newly setup tank or was it properly cycled before adding fish (letting the tank run for a few days doesn't properly cycle it, unfortunately and it's what most pet/fish stores say to do)? if it's a new uncycled tank you may have other issues aside from overfeeding. Please read the link in my signature called: new tank with fish. Good luck.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well, we filled the tank and treated the water, and left it for six days with the pump/filter running. What does a cycle involve?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstubbs123
Well, we filled the tank and treated the water, and left it for six days with the pump/filter running. What does a cycle involve?
Welcome to the site
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....gen_Cycle.html
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi everyone, quick update we have taken the feeds down to once a day and all fish have been fine. Also made 5 new additions and still all getting enough food. Thanks again for all your advice x

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com