New owner not sure food quantities!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dstubbs123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

We got 6 new fish yesterday, two gouramis, 3 cobra guppies, and one banjo catfish. They are all still really tiny apart from the gouramis which are about 1.5 inches. I'm not sure if I'm feeding them enough, I'm feeding them a finger-pinch of fish flakes in the morn and evening, but it looks like the cobras especially are looking for food right now. I really don't want to overfeed them. Any advice?

Danielle

X

IMO it's worse to overfeed than underfeed. Trust me, I went through this already and it took me a while to control the spikes in Ammonia. You should be fine, especially if you feed twice a day. Wait for other suggestions as well. Good luck!

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better! I'll keep the feeds to twice a day for now then I guess, keep an eye on them :)

They should be fine with your schedule. As was said before, it's better to underfeed then to overfeed. They may be looking for food but they're greedy little buggers.

It's good to know how much you're feeding yours, gives me a much better idea! I'll sleep better tonight knowing they won't starve! Thanks everyone!

Good info above. I just wanted to also ask if this is a newly setup tank or was it properly cycled before adding fish (letting the tank run for a few days doesn't properly cycle it, unfortunately and it's what most pet/fish stores say to do)? if it's a new uncycled tank you may have other issues aside from overfeeding. Please read the link in my signature called: new tank with fish. Good luck.

Well, we filled the tank and treated the water, and left it for six days with the pump/filter running. What does a cycle involve?

Hi everyone, quick update we have taken the feeds down to once a day and all fish have been fine. Also made 5 new additions and still all getting enough food. Thanks again for all your advice x

Back
Top Bottom