New Penguin 150 Bio-wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Saturday morning I had unplugged my original penguin biowheel 150 (Size B Filters) to do a small cleaning of my tank, and upon re-plugging in...it stopped working. :?

There was no incication of trouble, no smoke, no noice, simply....stopped.

So I had to run to the LFS and noticed that there has been a re-design of the whole Penguin filter system. Sicne I already had quite a few 'B' filters left (unused) I decided to get the new 150.

Well, I noticed the new 150 is designed upto 30 gals where the new 100 is up to 20 gals. But the 100 only uses 'A' filters, and for a few bucks more I could use all my 'B' Filters.

Well, I must say, straight out of the box, it is a pretty slick design. I think they did a real ggod job in re-designing the 2 part top enclosure which seperates the filter and teh bio-whell sections. It really cuts down on over-splash water and noise. The long siphon tube also has a mid-tank level strainer (adjustable) as well as the bottom. Nice!

The only thing I was really bummed out on was the size of the new bio-wheel itself. I could not take my old one and put it in the new one. Totally new size :roll:

But it is much faster and spins much more freely. I also noticed that the surface water agitation, while quieter, provides much more oxygenation to the water than the original. So in order to seed the new bio wheel, I have the old one free floating in the tank.

I am much happier with the performance hands down than the original, so despite shelling out $25 I guess it was a good thing.

But anyone have any idea how long I should keep the old bio wheel in the tank before safely removing it so as the new bio wheel gets seeded?

I had been thinking about one of those! Thanks :)

You should definitly write a review in the review section!

Yes, you should do a review! :)

About the old bio-wheel -- I would leave it floating for about 2 weeks. Do some ammonia and nitrite tests in the meantime. You really shouldn't have a mini-cycle, since you didn't change things like substrate and decorations, and the old bio-wheel is still in the tank. But do your tests just to be sure, and if the parameters check out ok after 2 weeks, remove the old bio-wheel. If not (but my guess is it will be ok) leave the old bio-wheel in the tank while doing your testing every few days until your parameters are good.

On a side note, with your old filter.. I had the same issue with mine... And it was very easily fixable... I mearly took off the suction tube.. took a knife, placed it in they hole where the thing spins.. and while pluggs in I gave it a "jump start" by forcing it to start spinning.. and it worked great.. and been workign great ever since.If you have not already disguarded the old one, I think you might be ablke to save it for a spare. Also great to hear the the new one is workign so well..

Jaysono, I couldn't agree with you more. The Penguin 150 is wonderful..I decided to switch to it on my 10 gal fw tank. I absolutely LOVE this filter. My old filter was a topfin 10 and it was still workng when I decided to switch. I heard that I should leave it running in the tank with the new filter for about 4 weeks before removing the old filter....well.....it is still there on my tank. Haven't gotten around to removeing it yet. My ammonia is still not down to 0 so I'm leaving it there till it does. currently about 5 weeks since I hooled up the new filter

The penguin filters w/BioWheel are top notch. I've got a Penguin 100 and have been pleased since day 1; especially with the mid level intake. It does a nice job catching any uneaten food, if there ever is any. You should do a review for sure!

new Penguin BioWheels

I purchased 2, 100 gph BioWheels a week or 2 ago and I'm trying to get them inoculated in my sparsely inhabited QT. They are very quiet. One spins much better than the other and I think it is due to variability in the wheels. I'm planning on using one to supplement filtration in a 29 gallon and the other to filter a 10 gallon.

I also just purchased a new Penguin 350 that has 2 BioWheels. I'm going to use it to run my new 29 gallon tank along with the old Whisper 30 that came with it. I figured since someone gave me the tank that I might as well use the old filter too. I like running multiple HOB filters b/c I can rotate changing filters and media without drastically changing my bacterial filter flora population.

So far I like the 100s. I just don't like the wheel that doesn't turn as well. I may just get another wheel, but I don't like losing the bacteria.

BTW. What is the difference between the Emporer and Penguin BioWheel filters besides the price? Aren't they both made by Marineland?

There are only 2 sizes of the Emporer's while there are 7 or more sizes of the Penguin's. They are both made by Marineland. Also, the Emperor's have a media container that you can put whatever filter media you want. I personally like the Emperor's much better, especially the bigger one.

Back
Top Bottom