New Puffer Owner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missyintx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm so excited! I've been wanting some puffers for a long time, reading up on them, and finally had a well established tank I could turn into a brackish from fresh. So I went to one of my favorite LFS where the owner won't sell you any fish without making sure you have exactly what is needed to keep them healthy and happy. Well, I guess today was finally the day because I walked out with 3 Leopard Puffers I've had my eye on for a couple of months! They are all eating already, gave them a few bloodworms and then some krill. They *really* love that krill.
I've read that they like snails too. If I put snails in there for them, they will eat all of them, right? I won't have to worry about the tank getting infested with them will I?
Thanks for any tips or advice.
Oh, one more question...... how many times a day should I feed them? I feed my cichlids twice a day. Should they be on the same schedule or just once a day?
Thanks again.

I don't have any advice, but congrats on the puffers! :D

I hope to have a small puffer tank of my own some day. They're fascinating!

There isn't really a leopard puffer, you've got green spotted puffers most likely and require brackish water. You said you were turning it into brackish water but didn't say how, make sure you use marine salt mix to get a specific gravity of about 1.010. How big is the tank as well? Only feed them maybe once every two-three days. Snails should be bred in a separate tank, the puffers will take care of them quickly. Also these fish are very hard to care for sometimes, so I hope you're prepared! With all of that junk though, congrats on the puffers I was pretty excited when I first got my puffers!

Definitely grab some nuisance snails from the lfs and breed em in a small tank. Puffers require hard shelled creatures; they need them to grind their teeth down, else you wind up having to play dentist and TRIM their teeth so the puff can close its mouth...eek LOL

Back
Top Bottom