New puffer tank:-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Setting up a new puffer tank that I am gonna be converting slowly to a brackish since my lfs had him in a freshwater tank!! Any tips or advice would be appreciated!! Also, what types of plants or other accessories could live in this?? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most plants tend to not do so well in brackish water. Duckweed can survive as I have seen it myself in marshes along the South Carolina coast. It's great of you to do this and rescue the puffer. What kind is it exactly? If it is a dwarf then it is completely freshwater, but figure eights or green spotted puffers are brackish. Puffer's love weaving in and out o things, so I would say to get lots of lava rock or some rock with holes in it. Be prepared to have to offer live food, such as mussels, earthworms and snails. These guys are great puffers and will live a long time if you are willing to go the extra mile for them and giving doing everything you can for them.

Leroy is a figure 8 puffer. I was thinking some lava rock of some design would be good for him. How about currents? Do they like a strong current or do I need to adjusts filter outlet. Also, I am planning on slowly transitioning him to the brackish...any advice on that?

Puffers prefer a softer current as they are not strong swimmers.

In the wild, figure 8s survive in a variety of conditions. They have been noted to live healthy in complete freshwater. It has been accounted that they can live a longer life if transferred to brackish and even marine.

Caleb

Cool! Thanks! He is rockin it in my freshwater tank right now. It's been established for at least six years. We are setting his tank up now and jump cycling it with some filter media from my current tank. He was an impulse rescue from my lfs as he was in a tank alone with tetras? he's a pretty personable fella but I believe he will be happier in a brackish tank by himself as the current in my tank is kinda quick in one half for my cories. So if I converted him to marine eventually what else could I put in with him fish or other?

Leroy is a great name LOL! I would leave him in freshwater, and over the course of two weeks start adding small amounts of salt to the water until you eventually get it to the salinity that you want it at. Puffers tend to not be strong swimmers, as mentioned above, so either block the filter outlet with some kind of lava rock to reduce the flow or point the power head into the direction of the rocks to break flow. Can't wait to see the tank!

That's what I thought;-) the boyfriend named him after Dave Matthews late sax player? my filter outlet is adjustable so that should work. Also, I was thinking of starting with a crushed coral substrate....pros? Cons? Would this change the water too much starting out?

Ok. Thanks! So would I need to add anything if I get it slowly converted to a brackish or marine tank over time? Pool filter sand is what is in my other tank and I love it!

Ok. Thanks! So would I need to add anything if I get it slowly converted to a brackish or marine tank over time? Pool filter sand is what is in my other tank and I love it!

You are going so need salt. Plenty of tank safe brands to choose from.

Caleb

Yep thanks:) got that:) so I'm wondering if I could put some live rock in or something along those lines if I do go full marine over time?

Yep thanks:) got that:) so I'm wondering if I could put some live rock in or something along those lines if I do go full marine over time?

If you convert to marine then yes that would be good

Caleb

Cool. Thanks for all your help!! And Leroi will be good in full Marine...? I'm terrified I'm gonna kill him!!

Ok:) so bout how long is that? He is about an inch right now. I'm guessing he may be a juvenile. So maybe after about a year?

Figure 8s shouldn't be kept in full Saltwater. 1.012 is their max. Long term in salinity that high causes their kidneys to fail and would lead to a premature death.

If you're looking to make it a community, depending on the tank size and footprint I'd recommend Bumblebee gobies, or maybe a Dragon goby. Depending on their personality, you might be able to get away with Mollies or Orange Chromides but a back up tank is always good in case of aggression.

I was leaning toward to bumblebee gobies. I was wanting some plants or some sort of ornaments to be included in the tank if possible other then just the rocks...

If you keep it low end, 1.005, 1.008 at the highest, you could probably have it planted. Java fern and Java moss would probably be your best options. But you can also try Bacopa Monnieri, Cryptocoryne Ciliata. There's a few others that can potentially survive, just check out their lighting requirements. Some may do better in it if you give a higher grade soil.
I'd recommend you start adding plants now, and take the transition slow. The bumblebee gobies would love the cover, and I think they're the best candidates for tank mates with them.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's advice!! I have the tank up and running now gonna jump cycle it with some media from my established tank. Waiting on some plants for now. Gonna let it run for a few days and make sure the parameters stay steady then convert the little terrorist to his new tank. Leroi has decided chasing my dojo loach is fun and has been nipping at his fin so hopefully things stay steady!! He likes to stare at my apple snail as well but as the snail is bigger then he is it is just dreaming at this point? will post pics as soon as I am done with it!!

Back
Top Bottom