New setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brien

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up a 29 gallon tank. The instructions did not mention cycling. I put in the plants, gravel, filter, heater, and conditioner that came with the tank. Ran the tank for three days and added 3 swordtails and two Molly's. Is it to late to work on cycling? Brien

What filter did you get with the 29g?
Cycling does not have to be as complicated as it seems, in layman's terms, you just need to build up beneficial bacteria in your filter that will turn the fish waste in the water (ammonia) into a more harmless substance (nitrates)
You already have fish in the tank so you have already started the cycle, it could take up to a month and a half more or less. I know this is hard but I would not add any more fish for a while and whatever you do do not change your filter media, just rinse it with some water from the tank, last thing you want to do is to get rid of that bacteria.
During this "cycling" process, I would change the water a bit more often than the average.

With fish in cycling you need to test your water daily for ammonia and nitrites and do a 50% WC anytime either of those readings go above .25ppm.

Back
Top Bottom