New setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanofish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 40 gallon breeder. Right now I've gotten to the point where I have the sand cleaned. The only decorations I plan to have in the tank is a lot of DIY driftwood. I'm in the process of trying to sink the driftwood right now and I know that will take time. My question was is there anything I can do to the tank in the meantime, such as starting a fishless cycle or putting plants in (I only intend to use Amazon frogbit and dwarf water lettuce if I can find it). If not I guess I'll just spend my time going over my stocking plans a bunch more time lol

Yes, you can put in your plants now and starts cycling. It actually helps the cycling process move faster.

Hi and welcome to AA! Yes you can definitely start your fishless cycle. You can always add the driftwood, etc plants later. The only things you really need for a fishless cycle are a tank filled with dechlorinated water, filtration, and a heater (heater is optional but it helps), and clear pure ammonia. Good luck!

Thank you both for the answer. I lurk here often although I don't always post. After all the time I spent cleaning sand I was begining to feel lazy just looking at a fishtank with sand and water. Almost everything with this tank is something I've never done before and I'm hoping it turns out as well as I'm hoping.

Back
Top Bottom