New setup - Tank cycle log - 1 month update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Way too much good stuff in here to let this thread die...from near hysterics to useful tips!

It's true...way too big and has it's own life.

I like the Rummy's. I was trying to talk the hubs into getting some but he went with some white tip tetras instead. What do you think of Rosy's. I LOVE them and am thinking of trading the Dancing Danios in for them. The Danios make me crazy to watch...too busy for me.

Can you adjust the flow rate on your filter? Try turning it down a tad and see how that works. My biowheel kicks out some microbubbles but as the wheel aged (mine is over a year old) I noticed fewer and fewer bubbles.

neilanh said:
I also picked up a gH and kH test kit.

my gH is 5 and my kH is 6.
What does that mean to me? My next tank I'm starting will be planted, so what does it mean to that too?

For your current non-planted tank it means nothing. It's nice to know your KH is 6 so you shouldn't ever see a pH crash, but it really doesn't matter for your current tank.

For your future planted tank it means you have PERFECT water quality for plants. Having a GH of 5 means you should never bottom out on Calcium or Magnesium (macro ferts required by plants), and having a KH of 6 means (if you wanted) you could inject CO2 and not worry about pH problems.

It's not been an easy road, I'll admit, but i'm on the downhill side and it's very satisfying.

I've solved the microbubble problem, turns out I am just an idiot on that one. I had the spraybar for the XP3 running directly above a bubble bar that produced very small bubbles. LOL - took out the bubble bar and the problem went away. Seems like such an obvious thing. haha how I didn't put 2 and 2 together, I dunno.

One of my original 3 rainbows developed some sort of fungus. She was QT'd and treated with Pimafix and Melafix, and it cleared up within about 4 days. I did 8 days of treatment with those.

2 days after she went into QT, my newest male rainbow developed signs of ich. Having nothing else to do with him, he had to go in the same QT tank. With the 2 rainbows in there, I slowly started raising the temps. A day or two later, my main tank began to break out with Ich as well. All of the rainbows, 1 of the rummy's, and 2 of the cories ended up showing signs, but I treated the whole tank and left the 2 'bows in QT.

I convinced myself the new male was the original carrier. He only survived about 2 days in the QT tank. Unfortunately having him with the fungus-wielding female she got the worse of the ich. She developed upwards of 30 spots at one point, as where all of the other fish only had 3-5 or so.

The Ich in the main tank cleared off pretty quick once the temps got up to 85, however the female in QT exhibited spots for many days longer. She remained in QT until all spots were gone, then was reintroduced into the main tank on March 1st. The main tank is still at 87-88 degrees, and will stay that way for another 2 weeks or so is my plan.

I've had several casualties throughout this past month. 2 Rummies were found dead against the filter intake. I originally assumed unknown causes, but the ich could have been affecting them and just not showing physical symptoms. I lost the newest male rainbow to ich, and 1 cory to it as well.

Things are better now, all the fish seem healthy and happy and doing ok. Even at the high temps, the colors in the rainbows have come back almost to normal, all the fish are eating and active.

Except 1. This just started a day or two ago, but one of the yoyos is freaking me out. I have 3, the 2 larger ones are extremely active and eat everything. Then there's the other 1. The past 2 days I'll find him laying on his side, breathing erratically. I've even found him laying on his back completely upside down. When I go up to him, sometimes he'll stay there, other times he'll turn over and swim off like nothing was ever wrong. He spends part of the day acting like this or hiding inside the wood cave, and the other part of the day swimming around, playing, eating, etc. I put in a slice of blanched zuccini last night, and he attacked it like it was going out of style. I don't know what to do with him, so for now I'm letting him be.

So that's been the past month. Nothing else will change until I'm done with the ich treatment, at which point I want to bring in 6 more rummies to give a school of 10, I want to try again to get a 2d male rainbow, and I still want that L066 pleco. So that's the future plans if everything goes well for the next few weeks.

Well sorry to hear about the health issues. I am gald you seem to be on the good side of things now.
Ick is a tough thing to deal with and from what I experienced (and was told to do) is if one has it assume they all do and treat the whole tank.

Man, getting this tank going has been a challenge, from the cycle that would never end to immediate health issues. Wow. But, on a plus side, I consider how much I learned through all this.

Just a follow up to the worry on the yoyo. According to some people in my thread in unhealth fish, it's perfectly normal.

With that bit of info, everything seems to be well now. Next week I'll start bringing the temps down to normal, then I'll start thinking towards restocking what I lost. The wife is begging for a bigger school of Rummies, so I'll probably start there.

In the meantime, my 20gallon planted tank is coming along, so that's kept me busy.

Back
Top Bottom