Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 98
New tank

Ive bought a 45 gal tank, I did some research about what substance to use, i really liked the white pool filter sand, after asking questions and searching information about it I decided to try it, I washed the sand extremely well, its been a week and my tank is still cloudy, i've done a water change and had the filter going the whole time but it's still cloudy, is there anything I can add or do to reduce the cloudyness?

If I add all my filter media from my year established tank to my new tank am I able to introduce a fish if parameters are ok after a few days or will it still need to cycle?

Does anyone have any suggestions of some small fish that could be kept with angel fish (they are very small at the moment) i really like the "school" of tetras but was told they will eventually be eaten, i would like small fish that are bright/colourful and preferably in schools

edit: The inside corners of my tank also have what looks like "white transparent thin plastic" thats pealing off, im assuming its silicon or something, is that normal for a new tank? its just floating into the water


thanks
__________________

__________________
SH4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rich311k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 12,189
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I would empty and refill the tank, being careful not to disturb the sand while refilling. You could put some filter floss in your filter to help catch the fine particles.

Moving a filter from an established tank will speed up or even eliminate a cycle. If you are planning on moving everything in your old tank then that should work out well. Just move the fish ad set up the old filter on the new tank at the same time.

Angels do well with many tetras, just avoid the neon, cardinals and other smaller tetras. Larger tetras, ruimmy nose and up will be fine with angels.
__________________

__________________
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 98
I did a 30% water change and then a 60%,its still slightly cloudy but looks heaps better. are rummy nose tetras good in schools?

Would it hurt putting a fish into slightly cloudy water?
__________________
SH4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rich311k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 12,189
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Rummys are great in a school. Pretty fish. Is the tank cycled?
__________________
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 98
I havent done any tests or anything so i guess not. thats why i asked if I use filter media from my other tank does it still need to be cycled. my sister is borrowing my test kit she will have it back by tomorrow
__________________
SH4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Joyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,218
Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich311k
Rummys are great in a school. Pretty fish. Is the tank cycled?
I agree! Rummy's are fantastic fish! They are so energetic, and in my case brought out some of my shy fish I love them!
__________________
Joyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South shore Nova Scotia
Posts: 420
Filter wool AKA poly fill will clear up dust pretty good, I run it all the time as a prefilter to my cartridges also filled with poly fill and I only have to change the wool out or sometimes half and disturbs the bio filter very little, if sponge and cartridge get dirty just rinse in tank water in a bucket and ur good to go, it's gods gift to aquariums lol
__________________
dollabill420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hubert90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH4N View Post
Ive bought a 45 gal tank, I did some research about what substance to use, i really liked the white pool filter sand, after asking questions and searching information about it I decided to try it, I washed the sand extremely well, its been a week and my tank is still cloudy, i've done a water change and had the filter going the whole time but it's still cloudy, is there anything I can add or do to reduce the cloudyness?

If I add all my filter media from my year established tank to my new tank am I able to introduce a fish if parameters are ok after a few days or will it still need to cycle?

Does anyone have any suggestions of some small fish that could be kept with angel fish (they are very small at the moment) i really like the "school" of tetras but was told they will eventually be eaten, i would like small fish that are bright/colourful and preferably in schools

edit: The inside corners of my tank also have what looks like "white transparent thin plastic" thats pealing off, im assuming its silicon or something, is that normal for a new tank? its just floating into the water


thanks
the current filter (not ur old one) is it cycled? or is it brand new? if it is brand new then the cloudiness is probably caused by bacteria bloom! just a though.

and if u add all ur old filter media to ur new filter. u wouldnt need to re-cycle, if anything u will only get mini-cycle that doesnt last long at all. just make sure u have a source of ammonia for ur bacteria to feed on or else u will lose bacteria in large numbers after a week of starvation!

and regarding ur 'white transparent thin plastic' can u post a picture of it? it helps alot!

thanks!
all the best
__________________
Hubert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 98
It's brand new, I have added a source of bacteria.

Heres a picture, you can see the strip of "white" its all that plastic stuff you can see some peeling off


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
__________________
SH4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hubert90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH4N
It's brand new, I have added a source of bacteria.

Heres a picture, you can see the strip of "white" its all that plastic stuff you can see some peeling off


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Ahh cool ya. IMO bacteria in a bottle stuff doesn't work well. I've heard they are unstable too. So I wouldn't use them if I were u.

Hmm I think it is silicon. Not sure if u can remove it or not. I'll leave that to the pro. But it wouldnt do any harm.
__________________
Hubert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 98
oh ok thanks for that! i think it can peel off. i just cant reach it hehe.
__________________

__________________
SH4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.