New Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexisLape

Aquarium Advice Newbie

My Fish:
Ziggy- Angelfish; 2-1/2 inches long by 3 inches tall.
Ben- Silver Sailfin Molly; 2 inches long.
Hedwig- Dalmatian Molly; 2-1/2 inches long.
Joel- Red Wag Platy; 2 inches long.
Princess- Mixed Platy; 1 inch long.
Buddy (Buddy Holly)- Chinese Algae Eater; 2-1/2 inches long.

My Tank:
10 Gallon Tetra Starter.
2 live Amazon Swordplants.
1 fake Moneywort plant.
2 fake Anacharis plants.
1 Top Fin Dark Driftwood Ornament.
(I use natural gravel and my pH is unfortunately a constant low of 6.8)

So My Question Is:
Which is better? Should I buy the Top Fin 37 Gallon Starter Kit ($134.99) or the Top Fin 20 Gallon Starter Kit ($79.99)?
(please keep in mind that I am in high school and my only source of income is $50 monthly allowance).
How can I raise my pH? I have PH UP and Correct PH 7.0.
(The second one didn't work too well, I even tried dissolving the tablets first before adding to my tank. After about two weeks of not having any more of it, I bought the other one, which I have been using for a few days now.
I even tried boiling my water).

ETC...:
20 Gallon Includes:
Top Fin Power Filter 20 with Cartridge
24" Fluorescent Hood with bulb
Adjustable 100 Watt Heater
Strip Thermometer
Fish Net
Fish Food Sample
Water Conditioner Sample
Setup guide with free phone support.
37 Gallon Includes:
Top Fin Power Filter 40 with Cartridge
30" Fluorescent Light with Bulb
Glass Canopy
Adjustable 200 Watt Heater
Strip Thermometer
Fish Food Sample
Water Conditioner Sample
Water Testing Vial
Setup guide with free phone support.
As it's been mentioned, my ten gallon is only temporary until about January of 2012 and so far, all of my fish are quite happy in it. Everyone gets along (the only fights being between my two mollies). I'm making the upgrade only because of Ziggy. I know that angels will get quite big, but when I bought the tank, I hadn't been planning on getting one, otherwise I would have started off larger. If I didn't have an angel, I think I would be able to stick with the 10 gallon, simply because I have done some basic math and discovered that, assuming Buddy Buddy Holly gets to be 4 inches long then I would only need 10 gallons of tank space for everyone. However, I do not want to sell Ziggy, just like the people in my house, my fish have unique and different personalities and I have become quite attached to them.
However, I cannot go any larger than 30 gallons, being that my grandparents won't let me, but I have managed to at least bring in the idea of a 37 gallon, though they don't quit agree with it yet.

I KNOW that angels get big, and that I am already pushing the limits for my tank, but I don't plan on getting any more fish for quite a while and as it is, I don't have any signs of aggression or overcrowding in my tank. Despite my low pH, everyone is doing extremely well and is very healthy.

As far as tanks bigger is better for water quality and stocking options. I'm not a huge fan of starter kits since some of filters/heaters are lower grade or smaller than what in reality should be used, so price out each component separately with a higher quality filter like a AquaClear, a good light fixture, and a good heater. It might be a little more expensive initially but in the long run with upgrading to better components will end up costing much more. Also check out your local Craiglist, you would be surprised what you can get for $135, just make sure your parents know what your doing. I always get a little nervous going into a strangers house alone, you never know if they'll want you to put the lotion on the skin or not.

As far as the PH just leave it alone as long as it's stable, that's the key since the fish when properly acclimated will adjust to a wide range.

Almost forgot Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your advice and for welcoming me!
I had been considering going for the 20 and then just gradually upgrading the things that it comes with, but where I was torn at was just getting the cheaper and smaller tank and then upgrading, or just go all out and get the 37, which has a slightly better list of things anyways. The 37 comes with a 40 Power Filter, 200 Watt Heater, and Glass canopy whereas the 20 comes with 20 Power Filter, 100 Watt heater. Both come with a fluorescent light and such, but I didn't know which was technically the better deal.
Also, as for the pH, thanks again. I called a few stores on and off since I had bought the tank and they kept telling me to try and boost it. Not once did anyone give me the simple advice of leaving it the heck alone. Thankfully though, my fish didn't seem too mind my use of chemicals too much. Phew.

Back
Top Bottom