New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zkrush2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday, I decorated and filled my new 75 gal tank. The filter( marine land for up to 90 gal) and the heater are working fine. I had a previously established tank that I put a few rocks and about 2-3 gallons of water into the new tank. About how long till I can put my convict cichlid in? Thanks

Attachments

• image-1713259226.jpg
    image-1713259226.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 61
Take some o the filter media from your other filter that you used on the other tank. Or get some from a friend who has a well established tank. Like the other poster stated, also a API test kit is gonna be needed. Where are your fish now? What size tank are they in? Can you run both filters on the old for a bit? Then when you move the fish over just move both filters over to the 75g. You'll need the master test kit to check parameters to make sure you don't go through a mini cycle. But don't freak of you do, it happens.

So is this an upgrade to a current tank or is this a second tank?

If it's an upgrade, just move the filter from the old tank to the new one and run it alongside the new filter for at least a month before you remove the old (or you can just move the media from the old filter to the new one and then if there's room left fill it with new media) and you can move the fish right over.

If it's an additional tank you can take some media from your other tank (as long as it's fully cycled and stable) and add it to the new tank's filter and add your fish. Just monitor levels in both tanks daily for at least two weeks. If ammonia and/or nitrite spikes in either tank, just do some extra water changes until things settle down.

Back
Top Bottom