New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long do u have to wait before you put plants into a new tank? Do you have to wait until the tank is cycled, or can u put them in eairlier?

-Thanks

Plants can go in at anytime! You just have to make sure you provide the proper lighting as well as sufficient nutrients and fertilizers!

Would plants be able to survive if they stayed in the little baskets that they came in? And do i need any fertilizer? My hornwort seems to get along fine without it, it grows like crazy!

what size is the tank you are doing? Are you going to do a fully planted tank? How many watts per gallon of lighting are you doing? What is your substrate? Lotsa questions I know...but I have learned that they are all important for a healthy planted tank!

Also remember that every plant is different in regards to their requirements. Hornwort for example is a easy care plant that requires low light. Some plants require high light.....

For my tanks, I fertilize with 6 different products from the Seachem flourish line.

Ok. These are just three 10 gallon tanks for guppy breeding. Its not gonna be a fully planted tank.. just a few plants here and there incase a female makes an early drop. They are all bare bottom tanks(thats why I was wondering if the plants would survive in the baskets they come in). I have 4 25 watt incandesent bulbs spread over all three tanks.

Hope this helps!

I have never personally done this but a buddy of mine did. He just used some water sprite and planted a few and left the rest to float. The guppy fry loved it. This way they stay at the top away from the filter intake.

It is always best to remove the plants from their plastic pots! Are you going to be using these tanks for continual breeding or just a one time thing?

I would pick some low light plants that are kind of bushy(ie.water sprite). Plant some as well as letting some float...this way there are plenty of place to hide.

check out www.plantgeek.com for some ideas. Good luck.

BTW...what part of Cana-duh are you from. I'm in the big bad city of Ottawa!

Back
Top Bottom