New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alfie101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I've just joined and was hoping to get advice on stocking a new tank. It holds 200 litres apron 44 gal. I've put a fluval 406 in the tank and when it's cycled was hoping to put the following in but wanted to check I was not overstocking it -

6 x black neon teras
6 x rosy tetras
6 x neon tetras
6 x platies
1 x male dwarf gourami
3 x female dwarf gourami
3 x bronze cory
3 x peppered cory
8 x ghost shrimp
4 x apple snails

To build up over a period of time. I used an aquriums calculator on the net which said that would take it to 90% full. The tank is 100 x40x50 cm. however wanted to make sure it was good advice before.

Many thanks.

As long as you keep it to about one inch of fish per gallon, it should be fine. I wouldn't go over that unless you plan on keeping the tank really clean and have a great filtering system. I would be careful with the goramies though, as the males tend to sometimes be aggressive. Good luck!

Welcome to AA, we hope ya enjoy !

That sounds like a lot to me but what do I know haha. Asked to have your thread moved to freshwater getting started. You'll get more help there. Good luck

I feel like that is a little much unless you are going to be doing daily water changes and other cleaning for the tank. I could be wrong though, I don't know the adult size of most of the fish you have listed. I would cut it in half if it was me.

As someone else mention be careful with the male gourami they can get agressive.

Overstocking?

It sounds like quite a bit to me, although many of those are smaller fish.

Also, note different sources have different sizes listed. The store I got my Creamsicle Lyretail Molly from said Mollies got to be 3" long. When it started hitting 4.25", I started doing more research and found that sailfin Mollies actually get to be 5"+ long...

If nothing else, I'd say stick to the plan to "go slow." Not just for water-quality purposes, but because you may have an entirely peaceful set of fish, and then someone breaks up the happy home.

How big will the corys get?

As long as you keep it to about one inch of fish per gallon, it should be fine. I wouldn't go over that unless you plan on keeping the tank really clean and have a great filtering system. I would be careful with the goramies though, as the males tend to sometimes be aggressive. Good luck!

Inch per gallon is an incredibly faulted "rule". IMO, that stocking could work if built over a long gradual period, but many of your listed species would do better (and display more natural behaviors) in larger groups so I would recommend combining some of them (i.e. tetra & cories) into larger groups of a single species. The gourami may be an issue as well unless you have a very good source. They are typically lousy quality through most retail channels and females aren't typically ordered as they are pretty drab in comparison to males. The ghost shrimp would just end up as snacks. Stock gradually, maintain a good testing and water change regimen, and let your test results determine when you are "fully stocked". Welcome to AA! :)

Inch per gallon is an incredibly faulted "rule". IMO, that stocking could work if built over a long gradual period, but many of your listed species would do better (and display more natural behaviors) in larger groups so I would recommend combining some of them (i.e. tetra & cories) into larger groups of a single species. The gourami may be an issue as well unless you have a very good source. They are typically lousy quality through most retail channels and females aren't typically ordered as they are pretty drab in comparison to males. The ghost shrimp would just end up as snacks. Stock gradually, maintain a good testing and water change regimen, and let your test results determine when you are "fully stocked". Welcome to AA! :)

I know it is, and I dont really consider it to be a rule, but it is a good idea to stick to fewer fish unless the tank is kept very clean and you have a strong filtering system, as I said before. :) how many fish do you think could be in a ten gallon then, if you build the population gradually?

how many fish do you think could be in a ten gallon then, if you build the population gradually?

Entirely depends on the type of fish and set up as you mentioned. I have kept and seen very healthy 10G tanks with 30+ "nano" fish, but that is a topic for another thread.

Hm. What's a "nano" fish? Yeah. Like an inch long goldfish is the same as an inch long guppy. :p

6 x black neon teras
6 x rosy tetras
6 x neon tetras
6 x platies
1 x male dwarf gourami
3 x female dwarf gourami
3 x bronze cory
3 x peppered cory
8 x ghost shrimp
4 x apple snails

I think the advice about picking fewer fish and doing larger schools is good. Dwarf gouramis are territorial, and I personally don't have experience keeping more than one in a tank. You may consider looking at Honey Gouramis, they're also small and considered hardier than the standard dwarf. Platies have a higher bioload for their size and will reproduce if you have males and females.

Just some things to keep in mind!

Back
Top Bottom