New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SandSiftingGoby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello i am looking to make a freshwater aquarium and i want the bottom to be sand and i want plants and snails. i don't know what fish would be able to be in the tank and not eat the plants or snails

:thanks::thanks:

Hello i am looking to make a freshwater aquarium and i want the bottom to be sand and i want plants and snails. i don't know what fish would be able to be in the tank and not eat the plants or snails

:thanks::thanks:

If you want plants then I would avoid most root feeders. Sand isn't the best substrate for plants but with enough root tabs it would work. I just wouldn't want to put the effort in and come up short because of the substrate. But I believe there are a few on here with planted sand setups.

What sized tank? That will determine what fish and plants you can add
Really the only problem concerning plants and sand is for root feeders, I have a planted tank with three amazon swords, and when I added the sand they seemed to start dying, but I added root tabs, and they look better than before, I also have other non root feeders like Anubias, java ferns, and other plants that are good in the sand, though I am adding liquid ferts and that helps out a lot

Awesome, your starting a new tank=)
I have used black sand in my 20g, and yes I have Amazon sword and cryptocoryne in that tank. I use API root tabs (I have to get more), they feed so much. But if you soak drift wood for a couple weeks you could tie some anubias to it, or java fern. For a more natural look. And You would need to use liquid ferts for those plants. Really cool if you ask me. I love my planted 10g.

I also have ramshorn snails. And ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom