New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish109

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am a beginner. Set up a 125 litre tropical tank 17 days ago. Added 3 rummynose tetras 1 week ago (one still remaining). Have done two 20% water changes in last week. Got liquid water test kit today and readings are:-
ammonia 1.0
nitrite 0.5
nitrate 30
Any advice welcome! :)

You need to do water changes. Try to get ammonia and nitrite under .25 ppm. Ideally it should be 0. I assume you know about the cycling process? You appear to be almost done. Rummies aren't good for cycles. That is why one died. You should return the last and get other fish. Rummies really need a tank that has been cycled for at least a month. More is better. What test kit are you using?

Welcome to AA.

Lol just kidding we aren't that boring! I mean, that is the advice I wanted to give but we don't talk in that short sentences!

:lol:

Hi, thanks for reply. Its the api master test kit. Admittedly knew nothing about nitrogen cycle until after buying fish but now learning as I go! What fish would you recommend for cycling tank, would like to keep one remaining rummynose (hoping he survives!) I will do more water changes then to try to get levels down. What is the best dechlorinator to use when I do water changes? Thanks for help.

Well any dechlorinator works but prime is famous for being able to make ammonia less harmful to fish. So you should definitely use that while cycling. So you do know about the nitrogen cycle now right?

As far as fish go, I guess you can try to keep the rummy, but you need to be dilligent with your water changes. I recommend bloodfin tetras, but really most tetras and some barbs would work. A lot of danios would work too. There are just so many that you would have to just ask us which ones you like.

Back
Top Bottom