New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spikypsyki

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am relatively new to the big tanks. I have had a 5 gal goldfish tank years ago but recently got a 55 gal. I was wondering what would be a good starter fish. I am wanting to put some shrimp or something in there.

I just startrd a new tank with 6 cardinal tetras. they are all doing well but tank has not cycled yet and water changes are frequent

Hi Spiky.
Is the tank cycled? If not, I would strongly advise to cycle the tank 'fish less'. There is loads of info on the Net about how to do it. Then you can stock your tank with more than just a few fish, not 100% stocking, but many more than you could if doing a fish in tank cycle.
As for fish, I would first imagine how you want the tank to look. Real plants/fake plants/no plants. Sand/gravel/soil substrate. Wood and/or rocks decoration. Then think what type of fish would look good and interest you. Some fish shoal, but you need larger numbers. Some grow large, smaller numbers, but destroy plants.
In my current main display tank I wanting an underwater garden, really heavily planted, and that led me to keeping mainly Tetras and Red Cherry Shrimp. In the past I have had sparsely decorated tanks and larger fish like Oscars and in another tank, mainly tall plants like Amazon swords for my Discus.
You asked what are good starter fish, but if your tank is fully cycled you don't have to stock with starter fish, just start stocking with the fish you intend to keep.
If you really want to do a fish in cycle then I would say that Harlequin Rasbora are fairly hardy. Buffalochip says he started with 6 cardinals, I hope he succeeds, but they wouldn't be my first choice to cycle a tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi Spiky.
Is the tank cycled? If not, I would strongly advise to cycle the tank 'fish less'. There is loads of info on the Net about how to do it. Then you can stock your tank with more than just a few fish, not 100% stocking, but many more than you could if doing a fish in tank cycle.
As for fish, I would first imagine how you want the tank to look. Real plants/fake plants/no plants. Sand/gravel/soil substrate. Wood and/or rocks decoration. Then think what type of fish would look good and interest you. Some fish shoal, but you need larger numbers. Some grow large, smaller numbers, but destroy plants.
In my current main display tank I wanting an underwater garden, really heavily planted, and that led me to keeping mainly Tetras and Red Cherry Shrimp. In the past I have had sparsely decorated tanks and larger fish like Oscars and in another tank, mainly tall plants like Amazon swords for my Discus.
You asked what are good starter fish, but if your tank is fully cycled you don't have to stock with starter fish, just start stocking with the fish you intend to keep.
If you really want to do a fish in cycle then I would say that Harlequin Rasbora are fairly hardy. Buffalochip says he started with 6 cardinals, I hope he succeeds, but they wouldn't be my first choice to cycle a tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1

Fishless cycling is my preferred method.

If you want shrimp you will need lots and lots of hiding places. This means lots of plants (fake or real) and decor such as ornaments or driftwood and rocks.

Small fish like rasboras and neon/Cardinal tetras will do fine with shrimp.

Start with 10+ shrimp to get a colony going and they can establish themselves.

Caleb

I am relatively new to the big tanks. I have had a 5 gal goldfish tank years ago but recently got a 55 gal. I was wondering what would be a good starter fish. I am wanting to put some shrimp or something in there.

Hey, welcome back to tank parenthood! Best thing you can do in my opinion is to decide your end result and work backwards. Some people want a large display fish with a few small mates, some want a mix of smaller colorful fish to give lots to look at, and others want a species tank.

Find the fish or fishes you want and let that decide your tank mates and decor.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

Back
Top Bottom