New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raijevais

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
We have decided to get our home a Large Tank. My boyfriend and I have both had fish at various points in our lives and I have a small tank I care for at work.

We would like advise on the best size / shape tank for viewing as well as filtration options.

He loves Angel Fish, and we know we want 2-3 of them.

With that as our starting point and a Budget of about 300.00 for the tank and set up itself (not the fish) can anyone point me in the right direction as far as Tank Mates, Size/Shape of the tank?

I like the deeper "Corner" Tanks, but I am not sure if that is what best for the Angel Fish. He found a set up he likes at the Petstore in a kit but's it's only 44 Gallons, I think it will be to small, but I could be wrong.

I know we don't want ONLY Angel Fish, I just know that he wants some. While they are interesting to look at they are not my favorite. I would like to have some variety in the tank.
I would be happy with schools of Guppies and Cory's but he would like something more exotic.

Does anyone have a "go-to" starter list or some advise on what we need to keep Angels happy?

Thanks!

I'm not sure $300 is going to do it for a decent sized corner tank, with cover, light, stand, filter, heater, air pump, and gravel.

I got a 54 gallon corner unit in August, paid $250 after all sales discounts. It came with the wood stand, cover, and LED lighting. Add an Aquaclear 70 filter ($50), 150 watt Eheim Jager heater ($30), Whisper 60 air pump ($25), and 50 pounds of gravel ($40) and we are looking at about $395 plus tax. And those are just the necessities.

Figure in water conditioner solutions, test kits, net, scrubber, siphon, plants and decorations too.

For reference, below is a link to the aquarium I got.

Aqueon® 54 Gallon Aquarium Ensemble | fish Aquariums | PetSmart

Solid advice from upstate, I would add check craigslist for up and running tanks. It seems that
55 gal to 75 gal tanks Are regularly available. Often times the tanks come with quality filtration, lighting and nice stands. $200 - $300 prices not uncommon. If you can wait until late November, Petsmart has their Black Friday sale, most tank prices cut in half. IMO, a 75 gallon would be a great size. Happy hunting.

I found this info from a couple other pages. The # of angels / gallon seems to be consistent wherever I look.

Angelfish Tank Set-up Tips

Because angelfish can grow up to 6 inches long, these fish should be kept in a tank no smaller than 20 gallons in capacity – the bigger the better. It is also important to keep in mind that this species tends to grow tall rather than long, so angelfish prefer to be kept in tall tanks rather than wide ones. The recommended temperature range for this species is between 75 and 84F and the water should be slightly soft, between 5 and 18 dH. Because they are native to the Amazon River, freshwater angelfish prefer a slightly acidic pH between 6.0 and 7.5 and they enjoy a densely planted tank setup. This species is compatible with other community fish but they should not be kept with fin-nipping species or with very small fish that might become prey. You should also be careful not to overcrowd the tank because this could exacerbate aggressive or territorial behavior.

1 angelfish per gallon for nickel size angelfish.
1 angelfish per 2 gallons for Quarter size angelfish.
1 angelfish per 3 gallons for Silver dollar size angelfish.
1 angelfish per 5 gallons for angelfish that needs to be paired.
Full grown breeding pair, 20 gallon tall aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom