New tank and old filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsHarp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36g bowfront with fancy goldfish, and that was built with the fish already home, needing a bigger place to live.

Now I'm starting with an empty tank and lots of ideas (livebearer tank maybe, very hard water here) and I have a question about cycling the new tank.
The new 25g tank has the same filter as my 36g (Aqueon QuietFlow 30) and I bought a Hydro Sponge 2 for aeration. I have the new sponge in my goldfish tank, hoping to seed it a little before I put it in the new. Since the Aqueon filter is the same size, I plan on putting used filter cartridge in new tank when I start it up.

The quetion from this newbie is, is there a difference in the bacteria needed between species? If the filter from a goldfish tank will do harm to other types of fish, this could be a disaster. Don't want to be a killer on my first vernture into this world alone.

I'm still about a month away from buying fish, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here seems so incredibly helpful.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AquStockIm...200909300164:,4:200911161252:,5:200909300093:

25g tall tank
possible stocking plan;
1 molly (silver lyretail maybe)
1 platy (red wag, maybe)
4 Emerald Cory
5 guppies
Fully planted with Hornwort and Christmas Moss. Maybe some Elodea and an Anubias.
Eco-Complete substrate

Back
Top Bottom