New Tank - Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bish67

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently in week 3 of a fish in cycle....3 platy and 3 black neon.
My ammonia is 0 nitrate is 0 but my nitrite is 2.0. I am doing regular water changes and testing water with API master every other day.
Nitrites not moved for over a week now.
Anyone know where im at?
Incidently i have had to do heat treatment on tank as had white spot....im on day 6 and white spot no longer visible.

Sounds like things are going as expected although with a nitrite level of 2ppm, I would increase your water changes to keep this at or below .25ppm. This may mean daily or multiple daily changes. The nitrite>nitrate phase typically takes twice as long as the ammonia>nitrite phase so hang in there! Make sure you maintain the heat for atleast a week after the last ich spot is gone then gradually reduce it normal. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Bish67 said:
Currently in week 3 of a fish in cycle....3 platy and 3 black neon.
My ammonia is 0 nitrate is 0 but my nitrite is 2.0. I am doing regular water changes and testing water with API master every other day.
Nitrites not moved for over a week now.
Anyone know where im at?
Incidently i have had to do heat treatment on tank as had white spot....im on day 6 and white spot no longer visible.

+1 with JLK, nitrites are dangerous to the fish so you'll want to get that down to as close to zero as possible. You're moving along which is good.

Thanks for the replies.....and advice I will take on board and will action....nice to be re assured im going in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom