new tank cycling and one more question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swamprat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Folks!
New guy here!
I have an already established and succesfull 17 gallon up and running but just picked up a 55 gallon tank :p
I've read that you can add elements of an established tank to a new tank and "instantly" cycle it? Now my question is, What elements? Can I just add a little water from the old tank? Gravel? Or what I've read as called "Mulm" Can I assume that mulm is the yuck on the filter elements?
Any help would be great!
Second question. Picked up a really nice piece of coral at a yard sale. I'm saying it is safe to use in the tank as long as it is clean but my girlfriend is saying that there is something that she heard somewere that it will do some harm somehow to a freshwater tank? Any ideas?
Thanks for any and all help!
Brad

I know I'm new to this forum, but have been posting on others for a while. Anyway, from what I've read and been told, elements from a cycled tank such as gravel, filter media, and tank decorations will help "seed" the new tank, but it won't be "instantly cycled"; this only helps speed the process up.

I was told that old tank water wasn't much use (other than to rinse your filter media when necessary)

I'm sure others can go into more specifics, but this will get you started hopefully!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom