New tank, discolored tiger barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tayler22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a new tank for my birthday. Its nothing big, just a 5 gallon tank. I have four neons, a tiger barb, sucker fish, and crab in there right now. The tiger barb was full of color this morning, and when I looked at it tonight the stripes were hardly visible. I don't know what is causing this? it didn't seem as energetic as normal either. Any ideas as to why its discolored? Not sure if its a male or female

Last edited by a moderator:
Tayler22 said:
I just got a new tank for my birthday. Its nothing big, just a 5 gallon tank. I have four neons, a tiger barb, sucker fish, and crab in there right now. The tiger barb was full of color this morning, and when I looked at it tonight the stripes were hardly visible. I don't know what is causing this? it didn't seem as energetic as normal either. Any ideas as to why its discolored? Not sure if its a male or female

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's stress. Your tank is severely overstocked. Tiger barbs need at least 30 gallons of water and do best in schools. Neon tetras need at least 20 gallons IMO, and most crabs are not fully aquatic, what kind is it? What kind of sucker cat? You will certainly need a larger tank

Also, what is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's stress. Your tank is severely overstocked. Tiger barbs need at least 30 gallons of water and do best in schools. Neon tetras need at least 20 gallons IMO, and most crabs are not fully aquatic, what kind is it? What kind of sucker cat? You will certainly need a larger tank

Also, what is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

+1 ... Tigerbarbs are shoaling fish and need to be in groups of at least 5 ... Though I recommend at least 7. A 5 gal is too small a tank for your stock.

Back
Top Bottom