New Tank Filling and Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to be filling up my tank today or tomorrow for the first time. I will not be able to get my pool filter sand until tomorrow. Will it hurt anything or complicate the process if I fill up the tank tonight and add the sand tomorrow?

Nope not at all.. just allow enough space so the sand that displaces the water doesn't cause you to have to empty water out, that would be a hassle... and make sure to clean out your sand well to get as much of the loose debris out that you can so you water doesn't cloud

Ok, thanks. Someone mentioned to clean the sand - fill half of a bucket with sand, fill the rest with water to agitate and stir it well, and before the dirty water settles back down, pour it out without losing any of the heavier sand towards the bottom. Sounds about right?

yup...you got it.For me I filled the bucket half way with sand then added about 3 inches of water.After about 8 times the water stayed clean.All there is to it.

I think you get less clouding of the water if you put the sand in first, then a bowl on top of the sand to add the water. However, either way and the water will settle and clear.

Cleansing substrate is a pain. I put it in a bucket, fill with water, swirl, dump water only out. Repeat two or three times, get tired that the substrate never really gets clean, give up and put in tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom