New tank, fishless cycle, and white growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pyro9097

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I apologize if this has been posted before, I tried to find something similar by searching but couldn't find anything super similar. I think this might be because to me there are several weird things going on, but they could be totally normal?

I started a fishless cycle in my 25 gallon tank about 4 weeks ago and have periodically noted several instances where the water will be slightly cloudy, and then the next day it will totally be fine. In the tank I have normal gravel, First Layer Pure Laterite, one larger decoration, one small decoration, and 4 live plants.

When I started the cycle, I used this Calculator to calculate how much ammonia to dose for 4ppm and did so. Presently my readings are as follows (using API Masterkit):
Ammonia: 4 (Was definitely closer to 8 a few weeks ago)
Nitrite: 2-5ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH:7.4-7.6

I was under the impression that there would be a clear drop in ammonia/rise in NitrIte, then a clear drop in NitrIte, rise in NitrAte, but that does not seem to be the case here. Could this be from adding too much ammonia accidentally at the start?

Additionally, one of the plants has been dying over the weeks. I have been doing my best to prune dead leaves, but it doesn't seem to matter. On the plants as well as the decorations there is a very fine white material that can't be seen on the surface but when touched goes up into the water. It is white and appears cottony/whispy.

If there is any other info that I can provide that will help, please let me know and I'll do my best

Thank you in advance for any and all advice and help!!:)

EDIT: From doing even more research and reading, it seems that I can either wait or do a fairly significant WC.
As I've thought about it all day, the difference in green between 4 and 8 on the API kit is pretty hard to tell the difference and I'm thinking it was reading 8 but was significantly higher, even though I only added a few mLs of ammonia.

Would you all recommend waiting or doing the WC?

I started my fishless cycle today and added 4ml of ammonia to my 125 litre tank. I got this from an online calculator.
First test tomorrow. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

EDIT: From doing even more research and reading, it seems that I can either wait or do a fairly significant WC.
As I've thought about it all day, the difference in green between 4 and 8 on the API kit is pretty hard to tell the difference and I'm thinking it was reading 8 but was significantly higher, even though I only added a few mLs of ammonia.

Would you all recommend waiting or doing the WC?

It's called a bacterial bloom. The beginning of your nitrogen cycle. It is present after filling the tank for a week maximum then will clear (this does not mean the cycle is complete) if you keep having instances where the water goes cloudy intermittently then this could indicate a disruption in the cycle.

Washing filter sponges in tap water, changing large volumes of water, disrupting the substrate and failing to dechlorinate fresh tap water may cause this to happen.

For now just leave it be and it will be crystal clear after a few days. Then the journey that is fishless cycling can commence.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay so some time has passed. I have added a new ac30 filter to the tank and that is rolling nicely. I have been testing daily and had to add a few mls of nh3 to get back to the level I have now (picture). Hopefully soon the ammonia and nitrite will be dropping and nitrate will be shooting up!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406685185.799518.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom